Grandpa Bear in central Ohio

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjdavidson1

Jan 23, 2014
Central Ohio
Greetings all,
I found this site a few days ago looking for information on my stove. I never knew the history behind them until coming here. I read the history of Bob Fisher and I've read the majority the posts contained here. Thank you to everyone that has contributed. From what I have gathered I believe my stove is a 1979 Grandpa fireplace series. It has the standard flat top doors with the split FIS HER on them. Does anyone know who the builder of Fisher stoves was in Ohio?
It is the sole heat source in my house. We don't cook on it all the time but christmas dinner is always cooked on the stove. It was in the house when we bought 8 years ago. Thank you again for all the info you have shared.
Take care,
John

Welcome to the forum;
There were no fabricators in Ohio at that time. (Dealers and distributers later)
Probably from Indiana. They were made in Schoolcraft Michigan and West Virginia (Dunns) as well.

The Indiana fabricator was;
Fisher Stoves of Indiana
944 3rd Ave. S.W.
Carmel Indiana, 46032

This licensee was actually Carol Fisher's sister Betty Jean. She married Merlyn (Bruce) Bidwell who was listed as President of F S Indiana 9/26/1977.

Thank you for the information coaly. Did Indiana or Michigan mark their stoves in anyway? I looked under the stove for any indicators done in weld, but found nothing. Again, thank you all for the information you share.

Don't think so. You're welcome, wish I had more.

Don't think so. You're welcome, wish I had more.

The information I have gotten from you and CamFan on this site is greatly appreciated. Also thank you for the information you posted in the everything fisher, and the grandma/grandpa series categories. I've shared the story behind the fisher stove with all the guys I work with. One of them is now looking for one lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.