Grandpa III rebuild, ghastly plasma cutting !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

windage

Feb 2, 2014
Ky
finally got around to cutting the crippled back out of the "franken-stove" see this thread;

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/friends-shouldnt-let-friends-burn-ashleys.123703/#post-1658905

this stove had been abused by burning coal without firebrick had roasted the back plate, leaving it cracked and buckled. So my buddy cut it out and since it's opened up, we are installing a baffle plate set on angle iron.
GEDC3863.JPG GEDC3865.JPG

Looks like it had a big crack in the center.

all done, welded a new sheet back on, re used the flue ring and installed baffle sheet, setting loose on angle iron. New bricks along with a few new brick clips. New door latch wedge, replaced nut in the damper cap and new bolt. Drilled out one door and stepped up the hinge pin size to tighten up the slack. STove got installed without finished pics...another member helped ID this "franken-stove" to around 1977..I found it on Craigslist about 3 hours away. When I got there to pick it up, I found that it had more issues; loose door on hinge, missing door latch wedge, stripped damper cap, rear sheet burned through from burning coal with missing firebrick...negotiated a lower price and brought it home.

i hope the lower price was free

Status
Not open for further replies.