Grandpa questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

78CJ

Dec 18, 2018
Northern Mi
A little over a year ago I picked up what I believe to be a Grandpa with Grandma doors. No UL tag. The top measures 30" x 26 1/2". The inside firebox looks to be around 27 1/2" wide x 20 1/2" deep.

How many fire bricks should I buy, they are laying horizontal in most places and all cracked.

I am attaching pics of the outlet and at about 5 o'clock is a spot where the metal in the ring had rusted in layers pushing it up and forming a hole. Should I replace the entire ring or just weld the hole shut?

Thanks

Ryan
20181210_170101.jpg
20181210_170129.jpg
20181210_170708.jpg
20181210_170848.jpg

Reactions: Todd67
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting the pics of your stove!

Coaly is our resident Fisher stove expert and I'm sure he'll check in soon. Are there any markings inside the doors, like GML or GMR? Grandpa doors would have GPL/GPR for left and right doors, of course. It does look like a Grandpa with Grandma doors, which begs the question, why?. The legs are also very short.

Does it have any heat shields on the back or bottom?

That crack looks like it can be welded.

Take pictures of your firebricks before you remove them. They might not be placed in the stove according to the brick layouts that coaly has posted.

Yes, that's a Grandpa with Grandma doors all right.

You could seal that hole with Stove and Gasket cement easier than welding if you want. That is the thin wall pipe to be careful welding on.

It should use 6 across the back. Buy as many as you need to replace any broken bricks. You don't normally need to replace them all. Are the bottoms OK?
Simply start at the left rear corner and install 6 across the back first. The sides should then take 4 and a piece in the front to fill the space. Then fill in the bottom, if removed. The key is to vacuum every last crumb and ash so the new bricks fit tight. They are difficult to impossible to get in if it is not very clean inside.
They are usually cheapest at masonry supply stores for about 1.50 each and ACE Hardware sells them by the box that comes to about 3.00 each. Some TSC had them seasonally.

Those hinge pins are screaming for grease! And welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for all the welcomes. The doors are in fact marked GM.
I can not see the bottom bricks as I have not cleaned all of the ash out yet but it really does not matter. I can get them here for $2.00 apiece and will just replace everything that way I know it is all new.
My friend is a welder and is darn good but I am not opposed to going the Cement route. Where do I get that?
Also, how many cans of 1900 will it take to cover the entire stove?

Thanks

Ryan

Those feet are worth as much as the stove.
When I rehab a stove I usually pull all the bricks and clean out the stove. You can flip the good bricks over so the unburned side is showing.
New bricks go on the bottom since they're the most visible.
I get bricks (actually known as firebrick splits) at the building supply house for $1.25 each.

Did you get a fireplace screen with it?

Have fun with your new stove.

I paid $150 for the stove, I assume that was a good buy? I did not get the screen however.

I had been keeping an eye out for an older heavier stove like this for a while. We are building a cabin 24x32 and have just been keeping an eye out for items we could use. I didn't even know anything about Fisher stoves until I got it home. I figured at that price I couldn't go wrong.