Grandview 230.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffsk7

Aug 16, 2014
washington state
I am new to the forum and thought I would get some opinions on a new wood stove. I have burnt wood all my life. Country stoves are what I have used. There are very popular here in Washington State. Going to be replacing a 1983 country t-top. Local shop has recommended the grandview 230. Which is made by country stoves. I know PE stoves are popular on here. Dealer told me they were class B stoves. Meaning they just don't last like country stoves. Is there any truth to this? Also what other stoves do you recommend to heat 1800-2000 sq ft. Id really like to here about the grandview 230 burn times and quality.

Welcome. What part of WA are you from?

Country makes some good heaters. I like their Legacy 260 and Performer 210. The Grandview line is new and there were some complaints about the early models. I'm not sure if they are all resolved. Unfortunately the Country line has had a couple recent owner changes (Lennox and now IronStrike) so it's hard to say how well they will support the line or how long they will be around. That said the original line of Country stoves is very solid and should be trouble free for many years.

The dealer is blowing smoke. PE stoves are among the top in their class. Good heaters. There are lots of threads and reviews of them here. In the PE line the Spectrum or the Summit would work for your space. We have the Alderlea T6 in a 2000 sq ft house. Our neighbor has the Spectrum in their 1600 sq ft house.

Last edited:
Yes I have had the legacy 260 insert. That was a great stove! I just bought a My family home that has an old country t top. It is 30 years old. I went to the stove shop to buy a new country t top, but they recommended the grandview line. Just not sure if the grand view is a good burner. It seems they are out selling all the other stoves they carry.

I guess my next question would be is it worth rebuilding the old country instead? It has no reburners and is piped straight into the old chimney. Right now it will not smolder a fire it just burns hot all the time.

IIRC the issue was with the Montlake 230 insert. The freestanding stove seems pretty solid. I saw one in spring and it looked good. Haven't burned in one though. Another stove to consider that is made in WA is the BlazeKing. A Sirocco 30 would also do you well. This is a catalytic stove that cruises a long time on softwood. Are you in eastern or western WA?

I guess my next question would be is it worth rebuilding the old country instead? It has no reburners and is piped straight into the old chimney. Right now it will not smolder a fire it just burns hot all the time.

The new stove will burn cleaner, will eat less wood and will have a great fireview. That's a pretty strong argument for replacing.

That is what fuels our stove too. That and some locust which I lucked on.

Status
Not open for further replies.