Granite hearth pad nearing completion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waltdog

Dec 20, 2011
North Idaho
Well my granite hearth pad is being fabricated at the shop right now. It will have a double thickness perimeter leaving me a nice air space underneath for a micore/ durock sandwich. Because it will not be attached to the floor I need to glue the micore and durock to the underside of the granite slab. Anyone have a recommendation for a construction adhesive that would be suitable? I will be sure to post pics when it gets delivered this week

Not sure how thick your granite slab is, or what the clearances are underneath your stove, but you should be able to use a construction adhesive (such as liquid nails) or something along that line to adhere the micore/durock to the underside of your granite slab. Be sure that you take and blow the durock and micore off really good to get all the loose dust off before using the adhesive. Here's a link to what I think would be ideal for your application.

http://www.liquidnails.com/products/product.jsp?productId=38

Oh, and yeah, I expect pics when you get the project started......;)

Not sure how thick your granite slab is, or what the clearances are underneath your stove, but you should be able to use a construction adhesive (such as liquid nails) or something along that line to adhere the micore/durock to the underside of your granite slab. Be sure that you take and blow the durock and micore off really good to get all the loose dust off before using the adhesive. Here's a link to what I think would be ideal for your application.

http://www.liquidnails.com/products/product.jsp?productId=38

Oh, and yeah, I expect pics when you get the project started......;)

That's a nice hearth in your profile pic Scotty. I like how it's way bigger than a standard one sold.

I am going to be putting down a granite hearth tile directly on a concrete slab. I am also interested to see the project and whether that stone is scratch resistant to a stove being positioned on it.

Ok uploading the photos:

As delivered, It has a three inch perimeter and the pads are 4X4
PHONE%2520PICS%2520938.jpg

First layer of Micore 300 is in. Not shown is the adhesive mentioned above by Scotty however that is what I used
PHONE%2520PICS%2520939.jpg

The second layer is 1/4 inch Hardi backer cement board:
PHONE%2520PICS%2520940.jpg

The last layer is another of Micore 300
PHONE%2520PICS%2520942.jpg

Felt pads brought everything to the same level
PHONE%2520PICS%2520943.jpg

Flipped over:
PHONE%2520PICS%2520944.jpg

Heavy lift :
PHONE%2520PICS%2520945.jpg

I still need to re install the ash lip and the rear heat shield.
PHONE%2520PICS%2520946.jpg

Nice pad!

Is that Absolute Black granite?

Absolutely STUNNING! That looks fantastic, waltdog! I love the stove, the hearth fits it beautifully!

Sit back and light that baby up....you deserve it!

I like it! but you are going to wiping that thing down multiple times a day!

Reactions: PapaDave
Definitely a gorgeous looking pad. That's a great setting for the stove.

For the record, in general, most adhesives are not appropriate for hearths and wall shields. Liquid Nails Marble has a maximum service temp of 300::F. This is not an issue here because the Rangeley just needs ember protection. And for that the stove is elegantly covered.

For the record, in general, most adhesives are not appropriate for hearths and wall shields. Liquid Nails Marble has a maximum service temp of 300::F.
Noted. I knew he'd be fine with the Liquid Nails in his particular application, that's why I recommended it. Also, that particular Liquid Nail adhesive is not recommended for flooring, but again, he'll be fine as that hearth will be a permanent fixture that will not have repeated foot traffic (off and on weight). It will be a static weight, so I felt it would be the best adhesive for his particular application.

Really sweet hearth! everything looks awesome. Nice work

Thanks for the replies guys. This thing is heavy so I had a friend help me flip it over onto some pine boards, after that I used a wonderbar to get it down to the floor level. There is a knee wall directly under the stove (near dead center of the span) so I went below and beefed up the studs around where the stove/ hearth sit.

The construction adhesive was really just to hold it all together while it was being flipped over/ positioned.

I cant use the stove just yet as the rear heat shield is off still and I plan on installing some copper sheet metal squares under each leg to break up the black a bit. I also noticed the legs recieved a very poor paint job at the factory so when I install the copper squares I will touch up the legs

Nice pad!

Is that Absolute Black granite?

Yes Absolute Black. the stove is in the dining area so I matched the counters in the kitchen

Again thanks for all the help and compliments. It was knowledge of this forum that helped me greatly

Reactions: ScotO
WOW . . . and yes WaltDog . . . I purposefully wrote WOW in all capital letters. This looks incredible!

Very, very nice pad! Please take a pic w/a fire lit in the stove; I bet the flame reflections on the granite would be awesome.

Reactions: ScotO
Excellent looking job! :cool:

Beautiful hearth Waltdog! Quite impressive.

Do you need wall protection behind the stove/stovepipe? What is planned (material wise)?

I am curious if you might have tried using some of the 3M fire sealant for your assembly adhesive? Has anyone here ever tried this?

Cheers!

Wow I showed that to my fiancee, that looks fantastic! I am very jealous, what a great choice!

Oh yeah! Thanks waltdog! I bet it's super cool w/the lights off and just the fire going. Again, great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.