Granny's Splitter& wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbyheater

Minister of Fire
Granny is spry young thing, a mere 86 and don't you dare call her____. :) She has always enjoyed splitting kindling but the wood that I was getting her was full of knots. This little electric splitter has put the fun back into splitting kindling . :lol: Her furnace is some where around 35 years old but she always keeps her fires small and the fire box is only on its second set of fire bricks :exclaim:
The part that helps keep me in shape is insuring that she has a good supply of dry wood, largely western Hemlock that has had 2 years to dry under cover. :coolgrin:

Attachments

• IMGP3673.jpg
    IMGP3673.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1,221
  • IMGP3674.jpg
    IMGP3674.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,199
  • IMGP3675.jpg
    IMGP3675.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 1,187
  • IMGP3671.jpg
    IMGP3671.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 1,191
  • IMGP3680.jpg
    IMGP3680.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 1,196
I certainly hope that I can do as well as your grandma is doing if I get there.

Lucky to have you looking out for her.

pen

You are doing a good job hobbyheater.
I'm sure Grandma says that too.
Bet she can show you how to start a fire, the right way :)
Great post!

That's great - definitely hope to be in her shape when I'm there! Cheers!

It's great to see stuff like this! If I live that long I hope to be doing what your grandma is doing! Thanks for posting those pics..

Ray

This is great! It just goes to show you the love for wood heat keeps going strong. Like others have said, I hope to be able to do that at 86, if I'm lucky enough to be here on earth!

More power to her. I've known a few like her and can appreciate what they are doing. More should do things like this.

I have always said and still believe that movement adds years. Seen to many older freinds just retire, quit moving and die in a short time. Activity is the best medicine known to man. Had one of my customers tell me the other day that she had to quit roping cows and riding all day as it was getting to hard on her. She's 89 and tough as nails. Congrats to granny for keeping the blood pumping! It's a good thing. And congrats to you for paying back all the hard work work she probably did for you as a kid!

God bless that woman and may he keep her in the best of health for many more years.

PapaDave said:
That's awesome!
I know some people half her age, who think getting off the couch is too much work. :roll:

:) A little bit about Granny. She came to the coastal community of Alert Bay as a new bride in 1948. The little town was very much in its hayday with logging and fishing its mainstay and all very much in its boom cycle. It featured many small shops and stores, half of which were run by Chinese, six or so restaurant's, a bowling alley, two movie theaters, three hotels and of course, three watering holes and the colourful activities associated with them. She had thought of returning to the security of her mother's in the big city, but this involved standing out on the wharf in the middle of the night waving a hurricane lamp to flag the steamer down. Not a very appealing idea, so she decided to stick it out for a short period.
Her list of accomplishment. She was the driving force in establishing the town's library and museum in 1958 and is its only curator and now volunteers two or three afternoons a week. For her service to the community, she was made Freeman of the town. She had her own bookkeeping business. She is active in the local thrift store with her speciality being bringing stuffed toys and dolls back to life. Is an active gardener and had a bumper crop of straw berries this past summer. Knows her way around a computer, heats her house with wood. Another accomplishment that I think was the capper; she learned to drive and got her driver's licence at 74 :exclaim:
Where I fit in, I'm the son in-law, but to the rest of the family she is known as Granny!

Attachments

• Joyce0001.jpg
    Joyce0001.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 711
Reactions: albert1029
Allen,
That is one fantastic and inspiring story of a great woman known as Granny! You are blessed to be associated with her.. I read the post to my wife and she enjoyed it as well.. Have a Merry Christmas!

Ray

Allan,

Thanks again. Your post are always interesting. The post made me think of my grandmother who past away quite a few years ago now. She was my mother's mother. She was 105 when she past away. Never learned to drive. Lived most of her life in the same small city. Raised a lot of kids. Her own, I think 10. And then raised a few others who were relatives kids. Great, great lady. Lived on her own into her early nineties. Then lived in several of her kids homes a few years at a time. She finally had to go into a nursing home in her late 90s because she needed 24 hour care of nurses and aides. I will never forget her and how she cared for so many people.

I'd bet heating with wood makes your Granny happy, and all of the other activities as well. And people who are happy live longer. Thanks again for the post. Very cool.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours! :)

Heck of a lady. And by looking at those wood stacks I would say she has one heck of a good SIL too.

That's freakin' "A" !!

cool-smiley-008.gif

She's an amazing person. No doubt enriches a lot of other lives. Meeting or even just knowing about folks like Granny is heartwarming. A good example of that proverbial 'life well lived'. I bet she will be around a good while longer.

Inspiring lady, and and she wears her years very well--quite a beauty.

Her wood supply is very impressive. Sounds like she lives a rich, rewarding life integrated into the community. A graceful way to live.

/wonderful story- hope i can get out of bed that age

a little old lady comes to wife's beauty shop each week drive her own car , last week she was fussing had a tree blew down in her yard and she could not get her chain saw started said she was going to buy her a new one and she is only 97 years young

Thats some good stuff. I may actually go and pick up one of those splitters, will work great for my limited splitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.