grapple load delivery - how much work do I have ahead of me?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Average time to cut/split/stack a single cord of firewood once it's onsite?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Teenagers finished the stacking today. Total yield from the log load was over 9 cords 9ea6c5af416a7f422d9e7abaf287a400.jpg098da99f081fdce258c69076505062f7.jpg

Looks great!

Last edited:
So the question is would you do it again? Lotta work and not always cost effective but it is fun playing w/ saws!

I agree. That is a great haul on the high side.

I was driving behind a logging truck a couple days ago, and even without it being piled super high, it really swayed back and forth!

What's your point? I'm aware of the time. Still a good job done. To each their own.

Yes, lot of work but I would do it again. I kept track of my time and compared the cost savings to buying split wood. I paid myself the equivalent of $30/ hour to play with saws and splitters . Processing 3 cords in future years will much less of a slog than 9 cords in one year

Yes, lot of work but I would do it again. I kept track of my time and compared the cost savings to buying split wood. I paid myself the equivalent of $30/ hour to play with saws and splitters . Processing 3 cords in future years will much less of a slog than 9 cords in one year

Definitely looks worth it to me!

Does anyone have experience using this type of timberjack?:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200640336_200640336

I see some reviews stating that it doesn't grab onto small diameter logs. As you can see, most of the stuff I have is 10-14" diameter. They are heavy due to length, not diameter. I want to be able to roll logs off the pile onto the ground, then prop them off the ground to avoid binding the chain when I cut.

I have one, and find that I don't use it much, just one more thing to drag into the woods. I will offer this word of caution, if you hook a big log, and it shifts or rolls back that handle will snap back and knock you senseless, or make you sing soprano for a while.

I have one, and find that I don't use it much, just one more thing to drag into the woods. I will offer this word of caution, if you hook a big log, and it shifts or rolls back that handle will snap back and knock you senseless, or make you sing soprano for a while.

I went with a cant hook, removed the jack off the base and never re-attached it. I just use it to roll logs off the pile; getting them up off the ground was more trouble than its worth

Status
Not open for further replies.