Grass pellets in Avalon Newport insert??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just cam from a local county fair and saw a vendor of grass pellets. Does anyone have any experience burning these in an Avalon Newport Bay Insert? These pellets may be cheaper than wood pellets.

I don't own an Avalon, however I can tell you that they are very dirty (ash) and they don't have the btu content of wood . Get a few bags and try em. I burned some awhile back and had best results mixing with some good, hot pellets. Is your Newport a multifuel ? If not tread carefully.

Schoondog

A few years back during Empire Farm Days, Cornell was doing some research on switch grass pellets and I asked some on the reps there about them and they said that they are still testing them. At that time, 2005?, the only stove that could take the ash was a Harman Pellet stove because of the amount of ash it produced. By now, im sure they have worked out most of the bugs and have made big adjustments to the making of the pellets.

Some things just have more ash period. Local mill tried making pellets from weed seeds and wheat screenings. Very high ash too. Grass pellets would have a lower mass weight. I used to have a sod farm and pelleted grass clippings for chicken farmers to make the egg yolks naturally more dark. Best thing for switch grass would be to add the bug from Japanese wine and make alcohol.

Search back and you should be able to find the grass pellet posts that jtakeman,imacman and I created. Those pellets were from grass and goldenrod mix. They were created in 2011 timeframe I think.There was another company that was making grass pellets with a mobile pellitizer here in the Hudson Valley last year. The pellets were cheaper, but alot more work and less energy than a wood pellet. Very possible that new technology has made them better. Just beware that you really should have a multi fuel rig.

Schoondog

Ash content will likely be the biggest problem as stated earlier. You gonna need a stove with an agitator or a good bottom feed design that is made to burn high ash pellets. Such as the Enerzone Eurostart. It has a Combustion blower (before pot) and an exhaust blower (just like every other stove) to help fine tune burning of high ash fuel and evacuation of ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.