Grass Pellets on CL. Gasification video too.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
macman, schoon. I want in on them goldenrods too. I also want to see the operation. Lets make some plan's. 2 birds one stone with a pellet swap ta boot(macman and I have to swap some pellets).

DJ I will do the water test later today or tomorrow. I kept a sample from the pellets I got from Mike and I haven't even tried the all grass I traded schoon for.

Schoon how did you like the Okies????

jay

jtakeman said:
macman, schoon. I want in on them goldenrods too. I also want to see the operation. Lets make some plan's. 2 birds one stone with a pellet swap ta boot(macman and I have to swap some pellets)......

Sounds good to me Jay......Schoon, you in?

yup let me know. I'm pretty busy but lets see what we come up with. Jay.... did not burn okies yet, coulda shoulda burned them this weekend, but I'm waiting for just the right time.
Schoondog

Ok, I just got doing some experiments with some grass pellets made by some folks down near Unadilla. I saved 2 bags to compare them with DJs. I have been monitoring the thread and am ready to try his pellets out in two of my stoves. The Europa, of course and also the Magnum Countryside. I left a phone message with DJ and also sent them an email.

I'll say the grass pellets I have been burning in the Europa burned fine. A lot more ash (Had to empty the ash pan in 2 days instead of 30-40 days) The heat was actually close to what a wood pellet would give. That could be how the Europa burns, not sure. I'll try to snap some photos before and after, etc. I dont have time to open programs and reformat stuff. When I get the pics, if I could email them to someone, they could post them maybe for me. That is unless we can post pics yet just by clicking nice and easy (the craigslist method)

The grass pellets I just burned were Timothy grass mixed with what I was told was "Hay that had a low protein content" as well as "scrub grass and shrubs" They were selling for about $220 per ton and when I checked, their 40lb bags weighed 40lbs.

Thanks, I'm talking to DJ now. He is probably wondering why I'm typing while on the phone. I'll keep you guys posted.

OK: let me know when you guys want to come over . If you want to make some coffee pellets as Jay suggested, bring some coffee grinds along 1-3 5 gal buckets full need a lot to load die, and I will make sure the die is hot . I am always interested in pelletizing different feed stocks. DJ

DJ said:
.....If you want to make some coffee pellets as Jay suggested, bring some coffee grinds along 1-3 5 gal buckets full need a lot to load die.........

YIKES! :lol: I'd have to ask Dunkin Donuts to save their grounds for a week to get that much......

macman said:
DJ said:
.....If you want to make some coffee pellets as Jay suggested, bring some coffee grinds along 1-3 5 gal buckets full need a lot to load die.........

YIKES! :lol: I'd have to ask Dunkin Donuts to save their grounds for a week to get that much......

I have heard that most of the coffee shoppes will save the grounds for you. Some people use it as compost in the garden and flower beds. I have a buddy that was extremely interested in the coffee pellets. I will see if he saved grounds or has a place to get them.

I would have to get him a few bags to burn! I would bet there some of the best smelling pellts around though!

A one pound bag of coffee will probably make 20 pellets who knows the stuff is dense. My wife stops at a coffee place in the morning. Maybe she can ask them . they probably have 3-4 pales of grounds a day. I am sure a coffee pellet has high btus. DJ

DJ said:
Anybody burning any yet ??

Don't think so DJ, From what I got they are just starting to begin processing them. It will be some time before they hit the market.

Only issue I see. Is they are adding parifin wax(5%). Not sure how good that may be for the stove. There using it as a binder.

Maybe we could try grass or Goldenrod?

Ok Jay, Coffee grounds this is really interesting stuff. First the bean is retted same as grass feed stock then it is roasted or torrified see http://www.biomassmagazine.com/article.jsp?article_id=2407 for discussion. This is the future of all biomass feed stocks some pellet companies are experimenting already. The emissions from the wax binder could be a issue. Jay you are rite in suggesting the use of a second feed stock that has lingen eliminating the wax, at some pressure / temp. relationship the particles will probably lock up DJ

Enerjet said:
Hey guys any new updates on how these are burning?

Looks like we are taking a trip to see DJ on Saturday afternoon. Looking at picking up some all goldenrod pellets and maybe some coffee ground pellets mixed with a form of wood as a binder.

We will keep you posted.

jtakeman said:
......and maybe some coffee ground pellets mixed with a form of wood as a binder......

When your neighbors smell it, they'll think a Starbucks or DD opened next door...... :lol:

Yep, jtakeman, schoondog, and myself getting together sat to swap some pellets, and see what's new in the grass pellet world.

FYI,

We(macman, schoondog, a friend, and myself) went to see DJ's operation. I had a blast and could have stayed forever. Just like being in the candy store. I was impressed with what DJ has put together with a lot of sweat equity! Definitely need to go again sometime and spend some more time there.

DJ, Thanks for rolling out the red carpet for us. I appreciate all the info you gave me about your mill and process. I learned a lot and want to learn more. I really hope what you are doing will take off.

I picked up 2 bags of the goldenrod pellets for an official like test for ash comparision. I also have 2 bags of grass I plan to mix with wood pellets. Trying to figure out what may work as far as a grass to wood percentage. Thinking 25% grass may do nicely. And yes we did make some coffee pellets. I will let another member give the details on those. Its his brain child. I just tagged along on that.

I really hope we can get something in the lower ash range(less than 2%) that burns hot. It would be neat to support a local mill and his product. Just seems like the right thing to do!

I was craving donuts all night, I wonder why?

Sounds like an interesting time. Can't wait for the reviews.

Cream, no sugar and 1 plain cruller please :)

edit: tx for the Biomass Mag link, I just subscribed...looks fascinating.

I really enjoyed meeting all of you yesterday. Sorry I didn't have more time to talk but pelleting new feedstocks is always a little challenging. I can not wait to get the coffee pellet burn feedback. I still think that the future is to shorten the burn cycle and make char not ash. Then you would turn your pellet stove into a 24 hr money machine. Char currently is 2$/lb. with 25% yield you could make 1000$/ton, and not have to deal with any ash. DJ

Grainstovesman said:
We are experimenting with a pellet mill from P.E.I. in Canada ... comes out of Europe ... Makes good Coffee Pellets with a simple liquid binder. If interested I can supply the web address ... Chris

Not really interested in the pellet mill, But I would like to hear about them there coffee pellets your makin. How do they burn?

Hopefully I can try my batch of coffee this weekend. Mine has a lot of grass in the mix. So it will just be a "heat" test for me. coffeeman keeps asking me at work if we tried them yet? But honestly I just got lazy and enjoying just being a plain old pellet burner.

schoondog or macman, Have you tried the goldenrod or coffee pellets yet?

I may also try the goldenrods and do a test of there ash content. If there is time I might do a 1 bag grass/pellet mix. I am thinking 75% wood and 25% grass, again checking the ash content. If its decent I will increase the grass to 40% and try again.

To pellet coffee grounds you need to dry the grounds down and mix in a binder keeping track of the ratio ... that's because it will depend on your press.

We are using both an extruder and a press.

The binder for the extruder is a secret but i can tell you it is a glue of sorts made from organic material that is also a waste product and free ... that's enough clues !

The press requires a binder that will supply a lubricant and also a binder ... molasses works ...just add to the steam going in ... dilute it first.

The ash coming off is of a reddish colour and is very fine ...the consistency of the type of ash you get from burning incense .. that's for you guys who experienced the 60's ... Jimi Hendrix pelleted I think .. ARE YOU EXPERIENCED !

The btu value for coffee is 10,500 btu per lb. but that is coffee with all the oils .. since this is waste coffee some if not the majority of oil is gone ...but it should still be very high in btu.

No creosote, little CO, and really not an objectionable small .. not really a coffee smell though.

Grainstovesman said:
To pellet coffee grounds you need to dry the grounds down and mix in a binder keeping track of the ratio ... that's because it will depend on your press.

We are using both an extruder and a press.

The binder for the extruder is a secret but i can tell you it is a glue of sorts made from organic material that is also a waste product and free ... that's enough clues !

The press requires a binder that will supply a lubricant and also a binder ... molasses works ...just add to the steam going in ... dilute it first.

The ash coming off is of a reddish colour and is very fine ...the consistency of the type of ash you get from burning incense .. that's for you guys who experienced the 60's ... Jimi Hendrix pelleted I think .. ARE YOU EXPERIENCED !

The btu value for coffee is 10,500 btu per lb. but that is coffee with all the oils .. since this is waste coffee some if not the majority of oil is gone ...but it should still be very high in btu.

No creosote, little CO, and really not an objectionable small .. not really a coffee smell though.

Awesome, Thanks for the info. No need to give away your secrets.

I am definetly putting mine through the stove tomorrow night. I got about 50 lbs from the start up. Has a lot of Timothy grass in the mix. Don't know the ratio, But if they burn good? Maybe thats what I might ask for. DJ is the master pellet maker. I just want to burn them. If we find a ratio that has lower ash than the straight grass had. And they got some heat, I might just have to start saving some grounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.