Q&A grate heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I live in East Texas and have electric heat. It is expensive. I have a fireplace and wonder if the "Grate Heater" might add heat to my house. I understand my ordinary fireplace takes heat out of my home. Thank You, Scott Ward

Answer:

Yes, an item like the Heat n Glo (http://heatnglo.com) "Grate Heater" will add some heat to the room. It does best when used with glass fireplace doors. You could also use a fireplace insert, which is more efficient than even the Grate Heater. It is true that most fireplaces are not heat efficient...and many actually have negative efficiencies.

11/2007 Heatnglo appears to have discontinued their grate heater. It could not be found on their site. Thermo-rite manufacturing still makes one though.

Link: Thermo-rite

Status
Not open for further replies.