Q&A Grate in prefab burns out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a pre-fab fireplace. I get the fires nice and hot (but not huge and roaring) with a good coal bed (1400 deg F as indicated by IR thermometer). I just noticed the back panel is scaling and the grate is thinning out. Are my fires too hot for the pre-fab unit? Unit is 10 years old, but is our new house - first season for us. Didn't notice the scaling and grate thinning prior to our usage.
Are pre-fab units really that iffy when it comes to temperature?

Answer:

These grates are usually very cheap and thin, and should be expected to wear out every couple years. Also normal for the refractory to scale or crack.

Any "normal" fire should be OK, just don't burn trash, particle board and construction lumber on a regular basis. Too hot a fire also makes for larger heat loss from the house due to too much air being sucked up the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.