grate in woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

netmouse

May 25, 2008
North NJ
For many years using my wood stove, I have used only a very short grate under the wood - really almost a flat screen. Fires were great. Recently the fires are very hard to start. The ashes are not that high even after a number of days. That says once I get a fire going, the wood burns thoroughly. What I find is that for some reason I now need to empty the ashes almost daily, and then the fire gets going fairly quickly. Note the ashes were not blocking the air openings.

I today bought a new grate that has legs about 3 inhces. I expect that will let lots of air circulate under the logs and up.

Does anyone recommend for or against using a grate? Until this, the burning logs settled nicely into the hot embers on the stove floor and burned well.

Most modern stoves are designed not to use grates and in fact many stove manufacturers advise against the use of grates.

I think they advise against it because the fire can get too hot and cause damage. But if you cut the legs off I think it would be ok and would work well for keeping logs from rolling forward towards the glass. Kind of a home made andiron.

I should mention I have a Vermont Castings large Defiant that is about 25 years old. It does not have a glass front.

Does this make any difference?

Being 25 years old it's probably due for a rebuild or the seams may have some leaks. Go around the stove with a cigarette or incense stick and check to see if the smoke gets sucked in where it isn't suppose to.

Hey Todd, would a cigar work too?! lol

Personally, I would not use a grate but would leave 1-2" of ash on the bottom of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.