Grate or No Grate on Buck 27000??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fastdonzi

Feb 18, 2015
East TN
Wondering if it is recommended to use a Grate or not with this stove?? I Am using one, Have for 14 yrs. Now seeing that new stoves recommend not using one I wonder if this would do better without it. I don't get nearly the burn times I should and I have everything up to par (Liner, New door gaskets, good wood etc) Any thoughts?? Thanks

loose the grate you can fit more wood and air wont be able to get under the wood as much both things will increase burn times

Good points. Next time it cools enough to clean I'll take the grate out and try it like that. I should be swapping to the new stove but I have to go to Brazil for work and the wife doesn't want to left with something she's not familiar with. Cant blame her I guess..

I have a 28000. How long do you get? What kind of wood are you burning?

I know this thread is old, but I got on here to ask the same. Grate or No grate, by what I read I may try it without the grate and see if my burn times increase. I have the buck 27000.