1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Grates for Add-On Wood Furnace

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Fixedblade, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fixedblade

Fixedblade Member

Loc:
    Northeast Kingdom of Vt.
    Greetings all: While my primary heating is with a Pellet stove, burning 8 tons last season, I've long wanted to get back into having a woodburner to wean me off my oil furnace back-up. I picked up an older Royall Wood Add-On Furnace that needs to be reconditioned, which I'm in the process of doing. There are no grates currently in the furnace. The firebox is firebrick lined and tapers down to a throat above the ash pan. There's a ledge where grates must have been, but gone now. The manufacturer no longer makes the grates for this older model so I'm looking to get them made at a local metalshop. The grate area is 28" by 8". I'm thinking that splitting it into 2 separate 14" by 8" grates is the best. I'm looking for advice on what type of steel to have them use and how far apart should the grates be to allow ashes to drop down. The grates need to have a half inch profile to fit under the firebricks on the sides. Thoughts or comments??
    Thanks,
    FB in Vt.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. laynes69

laynes69 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashland OH
    Maybe someone can cross refrence the part. If it was me and I couldn't find one, I would go to a local fabrication shop. Have them cut one out of 1/2 or 5/8 plate steel with a cnc plasma machine. Just an idea. I take it these aren't shaker grates? This is just something I found.

http://www.parramoreworks.com/
  3. CrappieKeith

CrappieKeith New Member

Loc:
    Northern Mn.
    I have a solid heavy duty cast iron grate that is 24"x8" if that helps,however they are much thicker than a half inch.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.