Grates for Add-On Wood Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixedblade

Jul 31, 2008
Northeast Kingdom of Vt.
Greetings all: While my primary heating is with a Pellet stove, burning 8 tons last season, I've long wanted to get back into having a woodburner to wean me off my oil furnace back-up. I picked up an older Royall Wood Add-On Furnace that needs to be reconditioned, which I'm in the process of doing. There are no grates currently in the furnace. The firebox is firebrick lined and tapers down to a throat above the ash pan. There's a ledge where grates must have been, but gone now. The manufacturer no longer makes the grates for this older model so I'm looking to get them made at a local metalshop. The grate area is 28" by 8". I'm thinking that splitting it into 2 separate 14" by 8" grates is the best. I'm looking for advice on what type of steel to have them use and how far apart should the grates be to allow ashes to drop down. The grates need to have a half inch profile to fit under the firebricks on the sides. Thoughts or comments??
Thanks,
FB in Vt.

Maybe someone can cross refrence the part. If it was me and I couldn't find one, I would go to a local fabrication shop. Have them cut one out of 1/2 or 5/8 plate steel with a cnc plasma machine. Just an idea. I take it these aren't shaker grates? This is just something I found.

http://www.parramoreworks.com/

Fixedblade said:
Greetings all: While my primary heating is with a Pellet stove, burning 8 tons last season, I've long wanted to get back into having a woodburner to wean me off my oil furnace back-up. I picked up an older Royall Wood Add-On Furnace that needs to be reconditioned, which I'm in the process of doing. There are no grates currently in the furnace. The firebox is firebrick lined and tapers down to a throat above the ash pan. There's a ledge where grates must have been, but gone now. The manufacturer no longer makes the grates for this older model so I'm looking to get them made at a local metalshop. The grate area is 28" by 8". I'm thinking that splitting it into 2 separate 14" by 8" grates is the best. I'm looking for advice on what type of steel to have them use and how far apart should the grates be to allow ashes to drop down. The grates need to have a half inch profile to fit under the firebricks on the sides. Thoughts or comments??
Thanks,
FB in Vt.

I have a solid heavy duty cast iron grate that is 24"x8" if that helps,however they are much thicker than a half inch.

Status
Not open for further replies.