gravity vents for a zero clearance insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andyblakley

Nov 10, 2007
indiana
help
I have searched the threads but have not found much on the gravity vents off the insert. I am buying a Villa Vista from Lennox and am considering connecting the gravity vents off the unit to an upstairs bedroom. I could also close off the upper face grill( I think that is what they are called) and not have a blower that pulls in room air and heats it and pushes back out. I would assume by not doing that the gravity vents will supply hotter air.
Any thoughts or questions for me? Thanks

My unit had the option for one or two gravity vents, although I didn't install any. If you use the gravity vents and block off the upper grill, then most of the heat will go out the gravity vents. That might be a lot of heat for a bedroom. With no fan, wherever the heat comes out (gravity vents and/or upper grill) it will come out more slowly and hotter. (Although a gravity vent might draft pretty well.) You get more total heat out with a blower, but it can be noisier too. A variable speed control is a must.

Do you want to heat the bedroom specifically? Or just distribute the heat more evenly? Once in the bedroom the heat might not disperse well to the rest of the upstairs.

We installed the Villa Vista in fall of 06. We looked into the gravity vents but chose not to, mainly because we don't have a bedroom immediately above the room where the fireplace is. We have both upper and lower main vents and that works to heat up the large living room we have, plus the heat migrates up the stairs to the bedrooms on the other side of the house (we have a split level ranch house). We don't have the fan installed, convection sets up naturally and is quite effective after about 30 mins or so when the fire has warmed up. I'm sure having the fan would increase the heat you recover from the fire.

Putting in the gravity vents must increase the draw and therefore the convection - check out the installation specs for the Villa Vista at lennoxhearthproducts.com. I can't remember if you have to close off the top vent if you put in the gravity vents - I can't imagine why you would have to if you didn't want to.

The Villa Vista is an excellent fireplace - I hope you enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.