Greasing the Tip

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
Oooops--wrong board.

No, seriously, is there any point in greasing the tip of your roller-nose bars?

I usually do it for awhile when I get a new saw because they give you a grease gun and a nice tube of bearing grease. But once it runs out, I usually just blow it off and I've never noticed that my tips give out any sooner. I usually manage to kill them long before then through other abuse.

So what's the word on the grease?

If its got a spot for grease I always grease it.
I run my oiler on full so it probably gets enough but.......

You can refill those things with some warm grease ;)

Many of the manufacturers are doing away with grease holes. This has nothing to do with "wanting to sell more bars". The new general concensus is that grease will actually ACCELLERATE wear. The grease acts like glue and keeps abrasive debris in the sprocket longer than if it was lubed by just the bar oil.

Its a big debate and always has been. Bottom line is ..........

If you like to "Grease your tip" , Do it , If not then dont.

If you grease your tip you need to keep doing so as to it pushed out the dirt and such , if you dont want to then dont start in the first place.

When Greasing your tip you need to do so at every tank refill of fuel to relube and push out dirt.
Its the ones that grease there tip once in a wile is the ones that make that grease into glue and keeps dirt in the bar tip.

one or the other boys , one or the other.

We have gone over this at work, and no one really does it. A lot of us grease our clutches more than our bars. I don't notice a diffrence in tip life either way.

Roospike said:
Its a big debate and always has been. Bottom line is ..........

If you like to "Grease your tip" , Do it , If not then dont.

If you grease your tip you need to keep doing so as to it pushed out the dirt and such , if you dont want to then dont start in the first place.

When Greasing your tip you need to do so at every tank refill of fuel to relube and push out dirt.
It the ones that grease there tip once in a wile is the ones that make that grease into glue and keeps dirt in the bar tip.

one or the other boys , one or the other.

Same thing here...has to be done regularly or don't do it...I don't....this is also what the head guy at the local saw shop said..

if you leave oil in my old poulan it will all come out.

Aye Coromba! I just bought a grease gun and greased my tip. Now I wish I hadn't as I guess I'll need to do it on a regular basis.

BTW: I also bought some files and sharpened my first chain. Worked great! Thanks to all that explained that procedure in the past. I learned it all from you guys. And more importantly, I gained enough courage to try it rather than just buying new chains all the time, which was going to get expensive with all the dirt on the wood I've been cutting. I feel like a real lumberjack. Well, almost.

Mo Heat said:
Aye Coromba! I just bought a grease gun and greased my tip. Now I wish I hadn't as I guess I'll need to do it on a regular basis.

BTW: I also bought some files and sharpened my first chain. Worked great! Thanks to all that explained that procedure in the past. I learned it all from you guys. And more importantly, I gained enough courage to try it rather than just buying new chains all the time, which was going to get expensive with all the dirt on the wood I've been cutting. I feel like a real lumberjack. Well, almost.

Way to go MO. The more you do it the better you will get. Don't forget to file you'r rakers.

Yeah. I bought that raker gauge and file too. I'll check it after a couple more sharpenings. Man, that old chain cut like new! I went from sawdust to millimeter sized chips. Whoo-hoo!

Mo Heat said:
Yeah. I bought that raker gauge and file too. I'll check it after a couple more sharpenings. Man, that old chain cut like new! I went from sawdust to millimeter sized chips. Whoo-hoo!
HE(( Yeah , Thats a good sign !

Status
Not open for further replies.