1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Great American Pellets

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Tim M., Jan 4, 2013.

1. Tim M.

Tim M. New Member

Loc:
    Douglas, MA
    Anyone burning them and if so how are you making out???

I either need a real thorough cleaning of my stove or these pellets are very inconsistent from bag to bag. Wife is home today from work and just called me to tell me stove shut off with H1 error which has happened a few times recently but also that the burn pot is full of ash and unburnt pellets and hard ash "clumps" AKA clinkers.

I've made a few posts recently about poor performace this year and have attributed it to a poor "proffesional" cleaning I had done before the season, was also curious if anyone else was burning these and had similar results?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mralias

mralias Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA
    Sounds like an airflow problem. Cleaning is the first step I would take. See my signature for instructions.
  3. Tim M.

Tim M. New Member

Loc:
    Douglas, MA
    I kinda figured ....... I just did what I thought was a pretty thorough cleaning last week however I did not touch the exhaust pipe, I think I'm gonna do the leaf blower blowout next.
  4. mralias

mralias Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA
    Depending on the age and use, check the seals around the door and anywhere else that air is getting in where it is not suppose too. If your venting is blocked up then that would be a great place to start cleaning. Check the combustion fan and area around it for ash build up as well. Also check your OAK for obstructions in case something is smothing air before it gets to the stove. Post upated when your done on what you find so we can all learn. Good luck.
  5. slvrblkk

slvrblkk Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    FYI...I have a couple bags left from a 1/2 ton.....good heat but VERY ashy.......they were less ashy last year based off my untrained eye.....
  6. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Then you didn't do a cleaning.
  7. Wachusett

Wachusett Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Wachusett Reservoir, MA.
    I picked a few bags to try, good thing its only a few bags. Not impressed.