Great CL ad for firewood!!! :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe the "pictures upon request" are of the stash on the other side of the house ?
/sarcasm
:)

Hey, he said it would 'overflow' a pickup bed. Some people equate a pu bed with a cord.

20 years ago when I moved into my current house I wanted to buy some wood. Called a guy who was supposed to be selling by the cord. I asked him if it was a true cord and he assured me it was a lot of wood. A p/u and trailer and that I would be very pleased with the amount. I let him know that I knew what a cord was and if it wasn't a cord that I wouldn't buy it.

Long story short, he shows up with a small pickup and a smaller trailer and tries to tell me it is a cord. I told him it was no where near 128 cu ft. Best line ever and I'll never forget it before he left with his wood. "I don't sell no dictionary cords"

That is the best line ever!!! ha!!

I emailed the guy when I first saw the post which had no pics at the time asking for him to send pics. He sent me the ones in the post. I said hey man just to let you know if that is all the wood you have you have about half a cord. he emails back and says...."that stack is 9 feet long and 6 ft high at its highest and longest points and some pieces are even 24 inches long. Trust me its well over a cord. a cord is 4ft x 4ft x 8ft. I split my own wood."

I email him back...."No way is that more than a cord. Or even a cord. Even if it was stacked 6 ft tall all the way across the 9 ft.....and assume every piece was 24 inches.....which clearly its not.....that would only equal 108 cu.ft.

You're right a cord is 4x4x8....which is 128 cu.ft." :)

WoodpileOCD said:
"I don't sell no dictionary cords"

HA HA HA HA !!!!

That is awesome !!!!!

WoodpileOCD said:
Hey, he said it would 'overflow' a pickup bed. Some people equate a pu bed with a cord.

20 years ago when I moved into my current house I wanted to buy some wood. Called a guy who was supposed to be selling by the cord. I asked him if it was a true cord and he assured me it was a lot of wood. A p/u and trailer and that I would be very pleased with the amount. I let him know that I knew what a cord was and if it wasn't a cord that I wouldn't buy it.

Long story short, he shows up with a small pickup and a smaller trailer and tries to tell me it is a cord. I told him it was no where near 128 cu ft. Best line ever and I'll never forget it before he left with his wood. "I don't sell no dictionary cords"

Love that line . . . may have to add it to my profile.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought it was a great line.

THIS WAS THE STOP I MADE TODAY. Unbelievable. When I replied to the add, there were not any pics! Thank God it was on the way home to my house! I couldn't believe it! There is, at most, half a cord.

Tell the clown you'll give him 10 bucks for the wood,15 if he throws in the wheelbarrow.

Okay, obviously not a cord of wood, but must still be worth something. He states in the ad that he will accept offers. How about $25-$30? A cord of wood around here goes for about $180-$200 c/s and delivered. I would grab a truckload of oak (if that's what it is) for $25 or so. A good chunk of the work is already done.

There was a woman advertising wood on Craigslist last week for $50. After playing phone tag, she left a message saying she had no idea of what kind of wood it was or how much wood she had. She stated, "Its definitely worth $50." Hmmm. That's kind of like advertising a car for sale and saying, "Its blue." It must be worth $xxx then.

Yea I said I'd give him $25 for it. He said no he wanted $50. It looks like Silver Maple to me from the pics no Oak so I wouldnt give him anymore than $25.

Jaugust124 said:
There was a woman advertising wood on Craigslist last week for $50. After playing phone tag, she left a message saying she had no idea of what kind of wood it was or how much wood she had. She stated, "Its definitely worth $50." Hmmm. That's kind of like advertising a car for sale and saying, "Its blue." It must be worth $xxx then.

LOL, Yeh, and when I was in school back in 1980 my auto shop teacher answered an ad from an "old lady" who had as she described " a 1960 somthing chevy that had been in the chicken coop since her son had been killed in Vietnam . She was asking $500 for it.
1965 Vette, less than 20k miles..........up on blocks.

varna said:
Jaugust124 said:

LOL, Yeh, and when I was in school back in 1980 my auto shop teacher answered an ad from an "old lady" who had as she described " a 1960 somthing chevy that had been in the chicken coop since her son had been killed in Vietnam . She was asking $500 for it.
1965 Vette, less than 20k miles..........up on blocks.[/quote

Your shop teacher's story sounds exactly like a country song from a few years ago. I looked it up and its called Riding with Private Malone by David Ball. It's a very similar story to your shop teacher's story. 1966 Corvette and a son killed in Vietnam. In the song he paid $1000 for it. Maybe the songwriter knew your shop teacher? Could be that since a lot of soldiers didn't come home, there might actually be some truth to what your teacher told you. it just sounds a little too good to be true.

I can't imagine the woman with the wood having enough to consider it a major score though. The message she left on my phone was that there were several "small piles." I still have her number, maybe I'll call to see if its gone yet... you never know.

Jaugust124 said:
Your shop teacher's story sounds exactly like a country song from a few years ago. I looked it up and its called Riding with Private Malone by David Ball. It's a very similar story to your shop teacher's story. 1966 Corvette and a son killed in Vietnam. In the song he paid $1000 for it. Maybe the songwriter knew your shop teacher? Could be that since a lot of soldiers didn't come home, there might actually be some truth to what your teacher told you. it just sounds a little too good to be true.

Well,
It was over 30 years ago, he was going to look at the car to buy for the school to be used in auto shop class and he drove it to school after he bought it..........maybe the country western singer stole the story.....

Buy a Corvette for the school to use? That's awfully generous of him. I would think a Corvette with less than 20,000 miles in original condition would have been worth many thousands of dollars. I don't think I could be that generous and I am in education as well.

Regarding the country singer stealing the idea... I had the same thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.