Great Craigslist find on Long Island (Woodstock Fireview)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
http://longisland.craigslist.org/for/2607101232.html

1- Vermont Casting Vigilant Wood Stove $500.00

Heats up to 8,000 cubic feet heat covering.

Holds up to 60lbs of 18" Logs. 8" flue.
measurments: 29 3/4" wide x 24" Deep x 31 3/4" high.

Heats up to 1600.00 SQ Feet.

Measurements:
28" High x 26" Wide x 20" Depth.

Both are in EXCELLENT CONDITION.
Call 516-322-2808 leave message

It sounds like its worth checking out.

If he's trying to sell the Vigillant for $500 then maybe the Fireview is overpriced too. You can get a brand new one for just over $1800 from Woodstock. They also sell refurbished ones for even less. Unless the stove is in pristine condition it is overpriced in my opinion. Just my $.02, I'm cheap :lol: !

VCBurner said:
If he's trying to sell the Vigillant for $500 then maybe the Fireview is overpriced too. You can get a brand new one for just over $1800 from Woodstock. They also sell refurbished ones for even less. Unless the stove is in pristine condition it is overpriced in my opinion. Just my $.02, I'm cheap :lol: !

I can show you several listings of people listing a Vigilant from $700-$1200. It's ridiculous.

$300-$500 is what most Vigilants seem to sell for if it's in decent shape.

bwbski said:
How much does woodstock tipically sell the refurbished fireviews for? and what is wrong with them, how old are they?

My memory is bad sometimes and I don't remember what the refurbished ones sell for. However, I can tell you that Woodstock goes completely through any returned stoves and they are basically new when they leave the plant. Big difference though is that you do not get the 6 month guarantee with the refurbished stove. They only have them for sale once or twice per year and they go fast.

Backwoods Savage said:
bwbski said:
How much does woodstock tipically sell the refurbished fireviews for? and what is wrong with them, how old are they?

My memory is bad sometimes and I don't remember what the refurbished ones sell for. However, I can tell you that Woodstock goes completely through any returned stoves and they are basically new when they leave the plant. Big difference though is that you do not get the 6 month guarantee with the refurbished stove. They only have them for sale once or twice per year and they go fast.

The current sale price is about what Woodstock usually sells their used Fireviews for. Roughly, of course.

IIRC, FV refurbs have been ~ $1600 recently. The last batch sold in ~ 2 days. As mentioned, they are kind of rare, and I would think they will be more rare in future. . .probably the majority of their returns are from folks who need a bigger stove, and Woodstock now offers a bigger stove, so I think fewer folks will be buying too small and returning, hence fewer refurbs. I'd go ahead and jump on the current deal. It seems like they do refurbs in batches. If they don't get many returns this season, they may not do a batch until spring '13. p.s. I poked around looking for the factory pick up discount. It looks like what it is = whatever shipping special they are running. Say they're offering $100 off shipping, they will discount that off the stove price if picked up. Probably does not apply to refurbs.

Looks like some weird discoloration on that Fireview? Or maybe it's just a bad picture.

Todd said:
Looks like some weird discoloration on that Fireview? Or maybe it's just a bad picture.

I thought the same thing, but CL pics are almost always poor. The Encore I picked up looked like an over-fired, dirty, rusted piece of crap from the photos. Turned out it was poor lighting and weird shadows.

BrowningBAR said:
I can show you several listings of people listing a Vigilant from $700-$1200. It's ridiculous.

I hear you on the ridiculousness of some people's prices on used pre epa stoves. When I was looking for my first EPA stove, the guy I bought my DW from had a Vigillant he would have sold for $400, it was completely rebuilt, all taken apart sandblasted and re-cemented seams and fresh gaskets. All the parts worked on it. It was also completely repainted. They were good stoves but not worth any more than that in my eyes. This guys stove was just sitting somewhere for 30 years and he wants $500? I've seen them on Ebay for over $1000 myself. One of them was a showroom piece though, I believe it had warming shelves and mitten racks as well. The same seller had other older stoves he had refurbished to look not only brand new , but he added every option possible to these stoves. They were all priced rediculously, but he had obviously spent some money to get them to like new condition. There are some people who always replace all parts like the firebacks on these stoves and make them like new and charge a ton. If I wanted to pay a lot of money for a stove I'd go with a brand new one. But it is refreshing to see that some stove restorers are still craftsmen and pay attention to detail.

Sorry about the long winded post! Here's an example of one of these Ebay oldies, a CDW with every option available. I believe this one may have had a coal kit included. The guy wanted over $1000 for this one, but it is in beyond pristine condition. I like the pic where you can see the cat, even the secondary burn chaimber looks brand new. Now that's attention to detail.

Attachments

• CDW.jpg
    CDW.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 482
  • CDW2.jpg
    CDW2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 507
  • CDW4.jpg
    CDW4.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 475
  • CDW7.jpg
    CDW7.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 462
  • CDW3.jpg
    CDW3.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 473
VCBurner said:
BrowningBAR said:

I hear you on the ridiculousness of some people's prices on used pre epa stoves. When I was looking for my first EPA stove, the guy I bought my DW from had a Vigillant he would have sold for $400, it was completely rebuilt, all taken apart sandblasted and re-cemented seams and fresh gaskets. All the parts worked on it. It was also completely repainted. They were good stoves but not worth any more than that in my eyes. This guys stove was just sitting somewhere for 30 years and he wants $500? I've seen them on Ebay for over $1000 myself. One of them was a showroom piece though, I believe it had warming shelves and mitten racks as well. The same seller had other older stoves he had refurbished to look not only brand new , but he added every option possible to these stoves. They were all priced rediculously, but he had obviously spent some money to get them to like new condition. There are some people who always replace all parts like the firebacks on these stoves and make them like new and charge a ton. If I wanted to pay a lot of money for a stove I'd go with a brand new one. But it is refreshing to see that some stove restorers are still craftsmen and pay attention to detail.

Sorry about the long winded post! Here's an example of one of these Ebay oldies, a CDW with every option available. I believe this one may have had a coal kit included. The guy wanted over $1000 for this one, but it is in beyond pristine condition. I like the pic where you can see the cat, even the secondary burn chaimber looks brand new. Now that's attention to detail.

I still love that stove Chris! FYI the coal kit comes standard with these CDW.. Mine came with all that stuff and I gave it to the new owner, never used.. What is optional in those pics is the warming shelves. rear heat shield and mitten warmer brass rail.. It was a heck of a deal when I bought it and will never be repeated I am sure..

Hey Ray,

I thought you mentioned that before. That made this stove not only a great deal, but a very flexible heating appliance. I wonder how well they worked with coal? This person really cared about quality craftsmanship, though, right? This old CDW still amazes me every time.

VCBurner said:
Hey Ray,

I thought you mentioned that before. That made this stove not only a great deal, but a very flexible heating appliance. I wonder how well they worked with coal? This person really cared about quality craftsmanship, though, right? This old CDW still amazes me every time.

Hey Chris,
I have no idea how well they do with coal as I never tried this nor do I know anyone who has.. It was one hellava deal though.. Heck it came with 3 solid brass handles and you can only use one at a time, a spare door latch, large can of paint, stove polish, 6" round and oval flue collars, all the coal burning stuff, a complete hand wrought toolset, a wrench, shaker tool, ash bin, log carrier (I seem to have lost that),welder gloves, cat, cat thermometer and wall rack to hang the handles on.. All this for $660.00!! Pretty amazing deal if you ask me! I thought I got a decent price for it considering how much heat I got out of it over the years.. I doubt I will ever see a deal like that again.. I still use the toolset and the gloves developed a small hole at a fingertip after 23 years!! As for that great looking CDW on E-bay it may be worth the price as it sure is a beautiful stove and looks like new!

Ray

VCBurner said:
Hey Ray,

Dad burned coal for one year in his dutchwest because our neighbor moved away and left us his coal pile. I was to young to really remember it but I have asked him about on more than one occasion and his response was if you want to burn coal get a coal stove. He said that it would work ok in a pinch but was not nearly as good as a coal stove. I always wanted to try it after he gave it to me but the wood was always free so I could never justify buying coal just to try it.

Someone must have bought the Woodstock stove . . . the listing only shows the VC now.

Status
Not open for further replies.