GREAT Craigslist score for firewood - yes, lots of sarcasm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spikem

Feeling the Heat
Nov 2, 2008
Middleboro, MA, USA
It's amazing the, um, gall some people have.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/for/2214932826.html

Here is the text:

FIRE WOOD
1/8 CORD = $100
1/4 CORD = $150
1/2 CORD = $260
FREE DELIVERY TO ALL BOSTON & METRO WEST AREAS

IF INTERESTED & WANT A DELIVERY , PLEASE EMAIL ME BACK WITH YOUR NAME , CONTACT # . THANK YOU

Can you believe this? It's, by far, the worst I've ever seen.

$800/cord. Not bad work if you can get it. But hey... FREE delivery.

Maybe I should load up my trailer and come visit!

Well the elevator in my FIL's condo in Boston had a fire and was out of comission for about six months. Its a five story building, so if I lived on the top floor... :-D

It's called capitalism or the free market. He's free to ask any price he wants. Consumers are equally free to buy elsewhere.

Unlike some of our large corporations, he is up front about what he charges, and probably isn't buying any politicians in order to gouge his customers.

No harm, no foul.

Well, it is worth something.....even some laughs.

If you buy two of the 1/2 cords then it's only $520. The more you buy, the more you save. :) Maybe it's wholesale firewood.

Wow wonder why so cheap wood arround here is going for a lot more< not> If I had to pay that much for wood I guess the furnace would get more use

In the Boston area wood is $350+ as it is. Wood should be cheaper in volume- especially when delivered (that cost is fairly flat per load). Call it $500 a cord CSD- it sucks, but it's maybe $100 more than going rate here- not like twice the cost.

Probably does fairly well if he sticks to the boston to metrowest market

"yes, hello, we need 2 cord, delivered...the address is top floor, Hancock Tower....its for our rooftop chiminea...thank you".

"One cord please. I live in the Back Bay. Parking should not be a problem."

I don't think the target market is for heating.

I'm with WhitePine. It's the market at work. Will he be able to sell at these prices? If so, he has some satisfied customers. They were willing to trade their dollars for the wood he offered. Both must feel they are better off or they would not do the deal.

Yeah, prolly paper birch & willow, the other hardwood, Randy

WhitePine said:
It's called capitalism or the free market. He's free to ask any price he wants. Consumers are equally free to buy elsewhere.

Unlike some of our large corporations, he is up front about what he charges, and probably isn't buying any politicians in order to gouge his customers.

No harm, no foul.

You're right, but I still find gouging like that to be very annoying. There's an Exxon station about a half hour from my house which is always $1.50 more per gallon than anyone else in NJ. What I don't udnerstand is why people fill up there; I pass the place on my way to/from work and there are always cars there. Expensive cars, pieces of junk, you name it. There are plenty of other gas stations close by, and I can't for the life of me figure out why people patronize the place.

richg said:
You're right, but I still find gouging like that to be very annoying. There's an Exxon station about a half hour from my house which is always $1.50 more per gallon than anyone else in NJ. What I don't udnerstand is why people fill up there; I pass the place on my way to/from work and there are always cars there. Expensive cars, pieces of junk, you name it. There are plenty of other gas stations close by, and I can't for the life of me figure out why people patronize the place.

Same station in Summit, NJ right? Been driving you crazy for years. :lol:

It ain't gouging if there is a price posted and the streets aren't blocked at both ends. Maybe it is a money laundering operation.

I agree with white pine and others. Delivering to a 5th floor walk-up with no parking available is harder than hitting the dump lever in my driveway. I met a guy in NYC several years ago delivering cord wood, his prices were similar. He also had to circle the block while his helper went upstairs.

If he's delivering IN Boston, those prices are right in line. $800/cord if you buy a cord 1/8th at a time, prices drop dramatically as the delivered volume goes up though...but since the largest priced volume showns is only a half cord, odds are most of his customers don't burn much for actual heat...more of a mood fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.