Great deal on Madison, should I buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maple_Ridge

Sep 4, 2015
Michigan
Hi all,

First time poster, I did skim briefly through the 'Before you post' section. Hoping the friendly forum board here can help me in this decision of a new wood stove. Ok, So I am a second year wood stove operator, it is my primary source of heat in the winter here in MI. I do have propane but would like to only use it as a secondary/gas cooking stove. So, Last winter. I borrowed a family members Federal wood stove (Its a front and end loader) and it worked ok. I was kinda burnt out on the inside. It worked ok, but I burnt mainly Black walnut that was not really seasoned properly and did have cresote build up. Used about 10-12 face cord and seems like its alot. Usually ran around 425* up to 450*. Could have been the reason I had cresote also, not hitting optimal burn temp.

But......Get this. My house is a total of 850 sq ft!! Yes, thats right, 850 WITH the basement! So we are looking at like 600-700 above ground. My current wood stove is on the main floor. Upstairs just 2 small bedroom. House sits on an Old Rock foundation.

So, Here is my question after seeing a Madison (Englander) in person yesterday. . . . Would this unit be too big for my small home? Bottom sq ft. for a Madison is 1200. Quite a difference. I could build smaller fires to help maintain a bearable temperature inside my home, but don't want to build additional Cresote by not hitting my temperature for efficency.

My main wood selection this year is Ash, after it has been standing dead from the Ash borer beetle that swept the nation in recents years.

Back to the Madison, I like it. Thats why I would consider this larger stove, AND I can get it for $500 new, great deal on it.

Does anyone know the clearance off the top stove top to the ceiling? What the minimal is? I could find it in the instruction manual.Also, how many of you have this stove and like it? I noticed most people override the ACC or the auto control feature on it.

Again, I am excited about this stove and would love to own it, but it has to be right for my small home. Hoping you all can point me in the right direction. Thanks!!!

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
The place sounds somewhat leaky to go through that much wood. That is a good price on a decent stove. Go for it, you live in a cold climate. In milder weather build smaller hot fires and let them go out.

The manual is lacking minimum ceiling clearance and alcove installation information. I would assume 84" for min. ceiling height to be on the safe side.

If you are on a budget probably the best you can do. Usually for a small space to be heated with wood a catalytic stove is about the best solution. A Woodstock Keystone or BlazeKing 20 series stove for example. They still burn clean at a low heat output and give you a more consistent heat with less up- and down-swings like a secondary burn stove. However, those will be considerably more expensive. After that the Pacific Energy Super has good control of heat output and some of the longest burn times for a medium secondary burn stove. But even that one will be about 3x more than the Madison.

What kind of flue do you have? Length, diameter?

And where did you see the Madison for that price (maybe post that after you bought it)? ;lol It still seems that it is difficult to locate that stove in a store.

Clay flue with 6" dbl wall stainless through it. 3' over roofline. Just before the cap I insulated the pipe/flue combo to keep the warm air in the flue and hopefully prevent some cresote build up.

Clay flue with 6" dbl wall stainless through it.

6" is the right size so that is good. It sounds like a masonry chimney? Is there a fireplace? The chimney should have an insulated liner in it and you could add some class A on top. Did a chimney sweep ever take a look at it?

Yeah its a brick chimney. No fireplace, stove pipe just goes through wall with 8" dble wall stainless and It's into the chimney. And I looked at it, haha.

What is the big secret with the stove? Seems like nobody can find them in the stores and it's not even on their website. Seems very odd they wouldn't feature on their website.

What is the big secret with the stove? Seems like nobody can find them in the stores and it's not even on their website. Seems very odd they wouldn't feature on their website.
It is strange they don't have anything about these on their website. We ordered one from AMFM earlier this summer and they were great to deal with! Also just yesterday we were at our local Lowe's and saw they had this stove in stock sitting on the floor. Pretty surprised by that. I think it was listed under the Summer's Heat brand.

Yeah. I find that odd to they are not really advertising on the website for Englander.

Found out more on why my price was $500. My unit was a display unit for the shows. Good chance one or some of you seen it in person. Nothing wrong with it, other than its scuffed up on one side from transporting it around. I have extra stove black and will use that on it. No big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.