Great PDF for wood weight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

Minister of Fire
interesting how much water weight red oak has. that just further validates the fact that it takes so long to season

Reactions: ScotO
interesting how much water weight red oak has. that just further validates the fact that it takes so long to season
Not so much the initial water content as much as the cell structure of the wood grain that requires longer seasoning.

Good reference.
I see at the bottom right, Seasoned wood is 36 - 20 % & dry is less than 20%
Seasoned is different than dry .
Good thing to know when buying wood. ;)

Reactions: PapaDave
Here's one that the Northeastern Loggers' Association puts out in its booklet, "Log Rules & Other Useful Information." This is for lumber and cordwood, but you can easily see the relationship between dry and green wood, and in the process, figure out which species are likely to yield the best firewood.

LInk: http://nefpexpo.net/signpics/woodweights.pdf
woodweights.pdf

Not so much the initial water content as much as the cell structure of the wood grain that requires longer seasoning.

It's true. Willow has the most water content on there but still seasons in one summer. I know, because I burn a good deal of it.

Good reference.
I see at the bottom right, Seasoned wood is 36 - 20 % & dry is less than 20%
Seasoned is different than dry .
Good thing to know when buying wood. ;)

Which is why I like seasoning my own firewood. To me, seasoned is dry, not just dumped outside for the rainy season ;)

Reactions: ScotO
Very cool.Seeing the BTU's wasted burning wet :eek: might convert some people.

Interesting tp compare the two sets of charts. The second shows the same weight loss for locust, hickory and sugar maple, going from green to 20% moisture. Quite a difference one set of charts to the next. Also, the second set of charts lists different weights per cord in each chart....And, in support of the old saw about ash being good to burn wet or dry, the weight of dry vs wet ash changes about 600 pounds per cord versus the 1700 pounds per cord for hickory, locust and maple, giving ash about 31 % moisture content green, while the other three are nearer 43 %..
One of the charts too states that it bases a cord on 80 solid cubic feet of wood. I had always heard that 86 cu feet was the minimal acceptable for a cord....

The incongruities are interesting. I appreciate charts like these, so thanks for posting. The more I can learn, the better. And it's really nice to know about what a cu ft of a dry piece if a particular species should weigh, though I'm sure that varies tremendously with how quickly the tree has increased in girth.

Status
Not open for further replies.