Great prices on good chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
I found a sweetheart of a deal this week. The rental place where I get my chains sharpened has tons of chains that have been used once on saws out for rental. The store sharpens them then they are hung up on the wall above the workbench.

I was able to pick up 2 good chains that retail for 30 dollars each for 10 dollars apiece.

They have tons more and in all sorts of lengths and sizes. They are stihl chains but due to the fact that most of the people who are renting a saw, usually tradespeople working for utility companies, can't be bothered to sharpen a chain and they want to know that the saw is sharp and ready to go right now.

Someone else may have found this type of deal before but I don't recall reading about it. I am just happy to have found this sort of deal as it helps me make my woodcutting more economical and more efficient.

That's soom good info. I may have to ask around the next time I'm shopping at a place that also rents equipment.

ive come to like www.baileysonline.com they have a lot of parts for saws, all kinds of chain, trimmmer line, and landscape supplies.

For me cash flow is often an issue, which of course is part of my obsession with heating with wood, and buying chains etc is tied in with that. With four kids in sports and music and with our commitment to my bride of 20 years not being full time in the paid workforce so one of us is full time focused on the four kids the beaver on every nickel needs to fart when we squeeze it.

For me to pay for multiple chains I am happier than a clam to get 2 for 20 like I just did. I am also blessed to be able to cut mostly clean wood so I can make a chain last a looooong time if I am careful. I ran into a bit of bad luck with my recent chain when right in the middle of a huge elm I hit a tiny old clothesline pulley that had been left there who knows how long ago.

I am also privileged to be cutting wood close to home so in between loads I can put the saw on the bench, touch up the chain and be out to the bush again. If I had to be out all day while cutting I would want more chains and I would likely mount a small vise on my wood trailer.... Hmmmm. Maybe I should do that anyway?!

Nope.... Gotta remember to think before I spend a dollar... Is this a need or a want?

lowroadacres said:
Nope.... Gotta remember to think before I spend a dollar... Is this a need or a want?

Amen Brother!

Status
Not open for further replies.