Great Saturday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
Started this morning bringing my son to Basketball. First practice this year. He had a ball.

Left the school and he decided he wanted a Coolada from Dunkins. I was in mood for a coffee so I said OK.

We called a buddy of mine who is a glassblower and decided to bring them a load of coffees.

There was a guy there interested in me turning glassblowing mold for him. We decided on a price and plans.

Left there and came home. It was a warm enough day so I decided to give the Enviro a deep clean.
I pulled off the vent, OAK, and the plug from the wall. Using a 2-wheeler I managed to pick it up off the hearth and roll it out onto my front deck.
I brought out the air hose, vacuum, oil, brushes, and hand tools.
Proceeded to pull the stove apart right down to bare bones. I went at it with the vacuum, and compressed air really getting all of it cleaned out.
I wire brushed all of the firebox and combustion vent.
I cleaned and oiled both blowers.
Put it all back together and gave the vent stack a brushing.
Moved it back into place on the hearth and reconnected everything.

It is supposed to get down into the 20's here tonight by morning so I decided I would put the first bag of Okies through it vs. the Premier's I have been burning.
Here is a shot of the hopper loaded with Okies. And them just starting to fire up.

It's been burning about 3 hours now and the house is a comfortable 72.

Man...I love burning in a clean stove.

---Nailer---

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 340
This was the first Saturday we have just chilled out in a while. Wifey caught up on here naps, me and my son played some Wii. Went for some lunch. Tomorrow we'll take a ride to see our local railroad. Might catch a run by? Stop for Brunch for sure. Get some more rest before the week start. Only a 3 dayer for us. Can't wait for the bird next Thursday! :) (yeah, I like to eat-hehe!)

The EF2 is a cute little stove. How old is it? First time with the Okies?

Too windy here in Yport to rake leaves. Gotta get out today. Fire is nice, though.
Marina

Jay,
The EF-2 is a 2000.
Freestanding (as shown)

I bought it used from a guy that had it sitting at the end of his driveway for $100.

I have been burning it for 4 years now.
IIRC I have replaced,
Burn pot liner
Combustion Blower
Convection Blower
Auger lower bushing.

Other than that it just keeps burning.
Firebox clean about every 3 days.
Deep Clean after each ton.

I heat a 900 sq ft converted cottage. Open floor plan.
Biggest heat loss I have is a strong Northeast wind coming off the lake all winter long.
The wind sucks the heat off the house.
I burn about 3-4 tons a year.

The stove has had 5 tons of Okies go through it so far.

These were just the first Okies of the season.
The predicted 20 degree morning temps warranted moving from the shoulder pellets to the real winter pellets.

Marina, good to hear from you again.

---Nailer---

I get to tinker on an EF-3 a friend owns. We are thinking its worth upgrading to the digital board as the stove is solid and throws more than enough heat for them. He would just like a stat to help with adjusting the temps. He's jealous of my beast and my programmable stat. He loves the thought of waking to a warmer home and not having to raise the stove setting then having to wait for it to warm up. Relatively cheap upgrade but labor intensive as you need to rewire the whole stove. But seeing I am working for beer and pizza, I think its a win for him.

They are dependable little buggers, His has been bullet proof. But he's like you and takes great care of it.

Enjoy the weekend! :)

I wouldn't know what to do with a stat.

I'm so used to "tweaking" the burn, I'd probably miss it LOL.

My EF-2 has been bulltproof. No complaints from me. Heats the house just fine.
I turn on the oil furnace 2x a year just to keep the seals lubricated. I've have about 100 gals. of #2 in the tank I bought 3 years ago.
Almost burned oil last year but ended up watching the fire in my living room instead of the T-stat dial.

Someday I will move up to larger stove but not till this one has been retired.

---Nailer---

hi guys.thats my plan for today.strip it down and give it a thorough cleaning.i was burning the premiers also but its time to start using the dragon mountains that i have left over from last season.with my stove on 3 i was struggling to get the heat from 66 up to 70 so i turned it up to 4 and that helped.so we'll change her diet today and see how she responds.

Nailer,

I put the digital control in my buds EF-3 today. Went very smooth and works like a charm. I hardly broke a sweat on it! If you ever decide to upgrade yours LMK. I 'll save the info for you. When I left he was playing with his new remote stat. I think his wife is gonna hide it on him before long! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.