Great Score Behind My House!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

usner21

Oct 16, 2009
Eastern PA
Over the summer a strong storm took down quite a few trees in a wooded lot behind my house. This tree in particular took down two other large sized trees by itself. I finally got at bucking this tree up on Saturday and what a job it is going to be. Just thought I would share a pic. It is one of the biggest trees I have ever had the pleasure of working on.

Attachments

• IMG_0183R.jpg
    IMG_0183R.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 552
Hard to tell but of kinda looks like willow to me. I'm not real crazy about burning stinky willow, but when its dry it does burn hot! Be careful bucking that tree!

Scotty Overkill said:
Hard to tell but of kinda looks like willow to me. I'm not real crazy about burning stinky willow, but when its dry it does burn hot! Be careful bucking that tree!

I'm no wood expert but I am pretty sure it's not willow. I could be wrong though! The rounds I bucked from it so far are very redish-brown in color.

Scotty Overkill said:

+1 You got a lot of weight still off the ground there.

I can't tell from this picture what it is. That doesn't seem a likely spot for a willow but the bark does remind me of willow. Do you have more pictures?

WoodpileOCD said:
Scotty Overkill said:

+1 You got a lot of weight still off the ground there.

Yeah I have been working from the top down. It will take me a while to get to the trunk section. Not sure how I will approach that when I get there. Any suggestions?

Wood Duck said:
I can't tell from this picture what it is. That doesn't seem a likely spot for a willow but the bark does remind me of willow. Do you have more pictures?

I can snap some more tonight. I am fairly certain it is no willow.

I have narrowed it down to Red Oak, Tulip, Ash or another hardwood.

Wood Duck said:
I have narrowed it down to Red Oak, Tulip, Ash or another hardwood.

It cuts like red oak. It looks like red oak as well! I am fairly certain that is what it is.

from where it is and the bark i would say red oak, but could be others as i cant see it very well.

I will try to grab a closeup pic or two.

What ever it is, it's BTUs !
The limbs are as big as a full size birch here.
Looks like it'll add up to be allot of wood :)

Working from the top is a good idea. Slow & easy ;)
Watch for any movement in the cut that starts to pinch, then under-cut standing on up-hill side.
The part that's holding it up, leave it as long as you can, when you get to it, go work on the stump end. Safer & usually you have more control there.

Looks like there is some twisted grain in the trunk.
By looking at the small trees, bent & twisted, the area must get some wind.
Oak is going to burn long & well.
Have fun & be safe

I originally saw this pic on my phone this morning, now that I'm home and I can see it better, it kinda looks like oak. A pic of one of one of the rounds (cut end) would help me identify it better. If I were you, and you are working from the top as you say, take your time and cut it one round at a time, making a couple inch deep undercut where you are going to make each round, them go to the top and cut down and meet up with that undercut, staying away from where each round will fall. JUST TAKE YOUR TIME AND WATCH WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!! I don't know how experienced you are with a saw, so only do what you are capable of doing. And like bogydave said, there's lots of BTU's there, no matter what wood it is. After seeing the full sized picture on my PC I am fairly certain that it isn't willow.....

Thanks for the advice guys. I will update with some more pics this weekend hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.