Great website !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

netmouse

May 25, 2008
North NJ
The below is a link to a great website. The Burning Secrets sections are very educational, at least to homeowners like me. It includes a lot on woodstoves, with sections on problems and trouble shooting. I got good info about my touchy bypass damper here where the handle turns but sometimes the damper does not move. It also has good info on exploding glass doors.

http://www.chimneys.com/burning_secrets/index.html

Where is the exploding glass stuff? I can't find it.

BrotherBart said:
Where is the exploding glass stuff? I can't find it.

About 2/3 way down the page under Woodstove Problems. Not all that interesting :) But I bet it is if you've ever experienced it.

Thanks. All I see is breaking the glass. None of this exploding stuff. Three or four years on the forum and knowing a lot of woodburners my whole life and have never heard of exploding glass. In fact the guy is dead wrong about cold liquid cracking the neoceram in a modern stove. Lots of test show that that stuff ain't flinching at thermal shock.

Knowing that modern stoves don't use glass might help this fellow's information.

He gives a lot of helpful tips, but seems to go light on the #1 problem with people heating with wood - wood that is not dry enough to burn. It is mentioned, but pretty low on the list.

Yeah, like I found out four years ago there are a lot of opinion websites about stoves and wood burning. But only one that actually has a whole bunch of real wood burners contributing to the discussion.

BrotherBart said:
Thanks. All I see is breaking the glass. None of this exploding stuff. Three or four years on the forum and knowing a lot of woodburners my whole life and have never heard of exploding glass. In fact the guy is dead wrong about cold liquid cracking the neoceram in a modern stove. Lots of test show that that stuff ain't flinching at thermal shock.

it goes back to that guy who put dynamite in a few splits to stop the wood theifery, but forgot which ones had the explosives in them, opps :)

The website also has something on glass doors in the Fireplace problem section:

"You can save yourself from the rather startling experience of a exploding glass door by knowing a little bit about different types of doors and their appropriate use. "

If the doors on the fireplace were tempered glass, the results could be dramatic. But really not an issue with modern stoves with ceramic windows.

Anything designed by man can and most likely will have a failure at some point in it's life. Be careful with that computer you are working on, they are known to go up in smoke occasionally! I personally have seen this.

Status
Not open for further replies.