Great

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stove top temps of 700 should take care of that.

Have fun with that.

cmonSTART said:
Actually, I keep a trained bird on the truck.....
when you said that customer "gave you the bird," I guess you weren't joking.

doubledip said:
So now how do I get that sparrow out of my stove?

Get any eight year old and have him/her put salt on its tail.

JimboM said:
doubledip said:

agreed. best way to catch any bird. Also works with rabbits.

Wifey wasn’t too keen on the idea of smoking the little bugger out. So I took some pipe off and there she was sitting on top of the baffle. She walked right into my hand. After I took her outside before she flew away I blew her off and thanked her for knocking down all that creosote.

Next time I see them playing around with my chimney the Red Ryder is coming out.

Danno77 said:
JimboM said:
doubledip said:

Flying squrriel works wonders on the pipes too..............................................

Danno77 said:

Have fun with that.

At 700 degrees, does it still smell like chicken?

You owe the bird $125 plus travel time for the chimney sweeping.

Billy123 said:
Danno77 said:

Have fun with that.

At 700 degrees, does it still smell like chicken?
depends on who's cooking the chicken.

Danno77 said:
JimboM said:
doubledip said:

Also works with big bucks!

Could always use the ferret . . . will do double duty by getting rid of the bird and cleaning your chimney at the same time. :) ;)

Open house door first, then stove door. Most of the time they fly right out. If not then get out the butterfly net or just start chasing. I get 30+ a season down mine. They sweep me clean. All go out the door on their own. I've often wondered how many make a return trip hehehe.

This thread wins "Best title ever" for the excellent indication of what the reader is in for. "Bird in my Stove" would not have won the honors.

Screen mesh in the chimney cap might just do the trick. If birds are all you're worried about, then a 1" x 1" mesh should do just fine, and then you shouldn't have to deal with all the folks who think a screened cap is gonna clog up all the time. I have 1/2" x 1/2" and have never had a problem, even though I'm a primarily softwood burner. Screens are required where I live, as here in the high desert the wildfire season frequently overlaps the burning season, and all it takes is an errant cinder blown up the flue by an energetic fire in the stove to set the neighborhood ablaze. Rick

Highbeam said:
This thread wins "Best title ever" for the excellent indication of what the reader is in for. "Bird in my Stove" would not have won the honors.
agreed. I wasn't gonna be the 1st to say it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.