Green fire GFI55 pellet buildup in burnpot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bgraham34

Aug 23, 2013
NJ
So my stove is getting pellet build up in the burnpot when I run it at heat levels 4 or 5 with feed trim at 1 and air at 4 or 5. I have also pulled out the draft open and closed and I get pellet buildup after 8 hours or so or operation. I am using New England pellets. Only option this year and the stove is set to manual.

Any help is appreciated.

We had the same unit installed this weekend and are having the same issue. Also tons of black on the glass. Hopefully someone will have some great advice!

I feel like I am hijacking this thread but maybe it will also help OP. New install this weekend, not sure if damper was set with magna, running at factory settings of feed trim at 4 and air trim at 2. Currently using dry creek premium hardwood but first 2 days, when we also had this problem, we were using a premium softwood (not sure of brand) that the installers left us.

Last night we had cleaned out burn pot and pulled out ash tray, which had a lot of ash in it and then starting using the hardwood. The flame looked fine, burn pot wasn't filling and we ran it at 3 setting on heat for about 6 hours, lowered it to 1 at about 11:30 pm, hopper was almost full - when i came downstairs at 7am it was shutting itself off because of the low temp sensor (light 3 on heat setting bar was blinking). After shut down, I restarted and now 3 hours later the burn pot is full again. I wonder if it is a problem with our damper even though the flame looks fine compared to videos I have watched on youtube. Damper slide is also difficult to move and it wasn't on Saturday after install.

I feel like it should be easier to operate and we must be doing something wrong. Should we empty burn pot daily? And should ash tray on bottom be almost full after 3 days? The installers will call tomorrow for a check in, so I can also ask them these questions but everything is closed today because of snow so I will have to wait. Thanks for any help or ideas!

Detailed installation information is really needed. Especially about the vent system installed (size, each piece in the system, and its orientation, and weather it is vented into the prevailing wind or not), location of the stove (floor it is on), the presence or not of an Outside Air Kit,

Likely if your damper was not set using a Magellanic or other differential pressure measuring meter the stove is not properly matched to its vent system.

This can place the trim controls out of being able to compensate for the fuel; you are burning.

There should be a table showing the recommended maintenance schedule which includes monitoring for ash buildup. This is frequently mentioned in terms of time between or bags burned between.

This post https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...et-and-corn-appliances-read-this-first.11416/ especially the first part applies to where in the process you likely are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.