Green Mountain Pellet Grill!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Branson4720

Burning Hunk
A new toy to feed my pellet obsession! :)

Attachments

• DSC_7101 (Custom).jpg
    DSC_7101 (Custom).jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_2344 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_2344 (Custom).jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 541
Branson4720 said:

Lol no kidding? I cook with charcoal because I love the flavor, I wonder if pellets would be similar?

SWEEEET !! Enjoy

Do you use same kind of pellets that you would use to heat?

Weird tolienish figure said:
Branson4720 said:

Lol no kidding? I cook with charcoal because I love the flavor, I wonder if pellets would be similar?

I had a chance to try some smoked meats right off of a Traeger at the dealer in Wakefield, NH. VERY GOOD

If anyone is in that area on Saturdays, Woodmans Forge cooks up a bunch of different meats in the morning and has them ready for lunch time. Might want to call to make sure that they still do this.

Pelletfisky said:

You can, but there are "cooking grade" pellets which are certified as
safe for cooking food. They're not cheap. Traeger offers then for $20
for a 20 lb bag. Different flavors...Hickory, Garlic, Apple, Cherry, Maple,
Onion, Mesquite, etal...We re-heated a spiral-cut ham with the Apple pellets
on a Traeger Grill where I used to work & it was to kill for...

Branson4720 said:
Nice toy! Bought at LPP? I want one but wifey says no! Still cooking with charcoal, But I do use some flavored pellets in the smoker box.

Pelletfisky said:

Not supposed to, Supposed to use a food grade pellet. Pricey too, But they are flavored.

I cook with charcoal because I love the flavor, I wonder if pellets would be similar?

Same here! I bought a smoker box and use chips or pellets to add some zip. These pellet grills do make some tastey grub. Ease of a gas grill and Taste of a charcoal grill. I want one too(drool)!

DAKSY said:
Pelletfisky said:

Hey DAKSY

How do you like the Green Egg? I missed out on a half price Trager last winter when a dealer in Laconia was closing them out. A guy next to me heard me talking to my better half on snatching up one and he went to the counter and bought all 3 that were left, including the display unit. The store owner came back and told me the news. GRRRRRRRR

DAKSY said:
Pelletfisky said:

Right now I am using Somersets. They use veggie oil to lube their pellet dies......which basically makes them "food grade''. This has been discussed at length on the pellet smoking forums. From what I understand Barefoot uses veggie oil too. I'll try those out later. I will be purchasing some other flavors later....but they are expensive! Last night's meal of Chicken wings and Bratwust was some of the best food I have ever eaten :cheese:

Attachments

• DSC_7118 (Custom).jpg
    DSC_7118 (Custom).jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 485
j-takeman said:
Branson4720 said:
Nice toy! Bought at LPP? I want one but wifey says no! Still cooking with charcoal, But I do use some flavored pellets in the smoker box.

Pelletfisky said:

Not supposed to, Supposed to use a food grade pellet. Pricey too, But they are flavored.

I cook with charcoal because I love the flavor, I wonder if pellets would be similar?

Same here! I bought a smoker box and use chips or pellets to add some zip. These pellet grills do make some tastey grub. Ease of a gas grill and Taste of a charcoal grill. I want one too(drool)!
Yes,Purchased from LP. Got a nice deal on a brand new floor model.....already built to boot! :)

Branson4720 said:
j-takeman said:
Branson4720 said:

Pelletfisky said:

Yes,Purchased from LP. Got a nice deal on a brand new floor model.....already built to boot! :)

LP got some nice deals. I just need to travel to far. Good guy to deal with IMHO.

nice job on the gmg branson! she is a beauty!! here is a pic of my Traeger running this morning. 8.5lb boston butt will take probably 12 hrs at 225. i messed around with stick burning smokers for years, i wouldnt ever consider going back. pellets are a set it and forget it thing. i put the but on at 445am this morning and went back to bed. my thermometer has a high and low alarm in case something goes wrong. i havent used any of my barefoot stash to cook with though. right now im using bbq r delight apple pellets and like cookingpellets.com perfect mix. they are expensive, figure about a buck a pound.

WestBoylston-20120205-00070.jpg

Andy P. said:
nice job on the gmg branson! she is a beauty!! here is a pic of my Traeger running this morning. 8.5lb boston butt will take probably 12 hrs at 225. i messed around with stick burning smokers for years, i wouldnt ever consider going back. pellets are a set it and forget it thing. i put the but on at 445am this morning and went back to bed. my thermometer has a high and low alarm in case something goes wrong. i havent used any of my barefoot stash to cook with though. right now im using bbq r delight apple pellets and like cookingpellets.com perfect mix. they are expensive, figure about a buck a pound.

WestBoylston-20120205-00070.jpg
Now I'm drooling on MY keyboard! :lol:

I have a traeger and love the set it and forget it part. I can throw a pork shoulder or butt on and smoke it at 150-160 and head to the city and come back 7-8 hours later and its still chugging along. I never leave the stove totally unattended because I do the smoking out front and don't want someone to steal the grill and dinner too! Cheap Totinos pizza are awesome cooked on it along with tator tots and other items. Rotel dip is incredible and has a nice smokey flavor. Of course I use a blender to make rotel so the grill is just to add a smokey flavor every now and again.

Blender no heat needed rotel

Empty contents of can in blender and liquefy.

Cube velveeta so it will fit in the entry hole in the blender cover

with the blender on liquefy slowly add cubes of velveeta and let the blender churn them up. The last couple will need some assistance to get to the bottom. You might have to work the contents around on some blenders to get it all consistant and creamy.

The blender will whip air into the mix and it will not get hard after being in the fridge. Any time you want some dip just pull it out of the fridge and grab the chips!

GrahamInVa said:
I love my treager. It is pretty much impossible to overcook your meat. So juicy!

8e2f6125.jpg

3e63e393.jpg
Very Nice!!! :)

oldmountvernon said:
Dont think i cant see that utility vehicle back there its coming home too :)

You'll hafta swing past Graham's place to swipe that.

oldmountvernon said:
smoke show said:
oldmountvernon said:
Dont think i cant see that utility vehicle back there its coming home too :)

You'll hafta swing past Graham's place to swipe that.

opps well invite graham for dinner too :)

Riding his ATV! Of coarse!

What! OMV hasn't got a pellet grill?

On a serious note! Both these grilles look similar. You fella's mind taking some internal photo's for me? And sharing what they cost you.

I really really want on! But scared as I don't have a covered porch or garage to store it. Maybe a cover will do?

How about a rotisserie option?

Branson4720 said:
DAKSY said:
Pelletfisky said:

Right now I am using Somersets. They use veggie oil to lube their pellet dies......which basically makes them "food grade''. This has been discussed at length on the pellet smoking forums. From what I understand Barefoot uses veggie oil too. I'll try those out later. I will be purchasing some other flavors later....but they are expensive! Last night's meal of Chicken wings and Bratwust was some of the best food I have ever eaten :cheese:
Veggie oil is bad for the heart. Anyone lube with Conola oil? :D

oldmountvernon said:
Branson you better never disclose your location I'll bring a semi flatbed and load all those goodies up after dinner and the grill cools down enough to handle of course. Dont think i cant see that utility vehicle back there its coming home too :)
You'll need a good sized trailer to swipe what's in the background of this photo! :lol:

Attachments

• DSC_7103 (Custom).jpg
    DSC_7103 (Custom).jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 338
Ejectr said:
Branson4720 said:
DAKSY said:
Pelletfisky said:

Veggie oil is bad for the heart. Anyone lube with Conola oil? :D

Sorry......I meant that the Somerset pellet dies are lubed w/ Canola oil. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.