green or seasoned?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
Hey thanks for all of the great info so far- much appreciated. So, at the risk of sounding pretty uneducated at knowing my wood :lol: , as I am, I just got my first chord of split wood- guy says it's seasoned, but I am not so sure. The splits seem pretty heavy for their size, and smell pretty fresh, with no checks. But the bark falls right off. Is it just wet, or green? Damn newbies...

Well you have 2 options, throw a piece on a good fire and see if it boils water out the end or hisses and spits or buy a moisture meter and split a piece and test it

nshif said:
Well you have 2 options, throw a piece on a good fire and see if it boils water out the end or hisses and spits or buy a moisture meter and split a piece and test it

Well in Euorpe they call wood that hisses "snake wood"

Not our kind of wood however!

A third choice is to put some liquid soap on one end and put your lips on the other and blow, if it's dry you'll make bubbles, if not dry your face will turn red. Beware, people may think your nuts doing this, but it does work. I'm not kidding.

Can also rap a split with your knuckles or another log, and listen for a resonant tone (seasoned) vs. a thud (green). Not the most accurate way, though, some wood makes a pretty sound even when green (black locust).

"Seasoned" is to firewood dealers as "like new condition" is to used car salesmen. It's not completely inconceivable that it's true, but you should always assume it isn't.

blowing bubbles? C'mon...

I bought a load of logs, too, and I can tell they have been sitting around for awhile- there's checking in the ends, and I can move them around by hand (12-18" diameter) pretty easily.

Todd said:
A third choice is to put some liquid soap on one end and put your lips on the other and blow, if it's dry you'll make bubbles, if not dry your face will turn red. Beware, people may think your nuts doing this, but it does work. I'm not kidding.
Todd,do you put knee pads on when doing this. :lol:

Todd said:

LOL That's perfect. I'm going to tell the wife that method. Hopefully I can keep a straight face.

I don't know, maybe she'll learn something :cheese:

brooktrout said:
blowing bubbles? C'mon...

Red Oak is the only wood that I know that will allow you to do this. Maybe Bamboo, but who burns grass?

budman said:
Todd said:
Todd,do you put knee pads on when doing this. :lol:

No, don't need them, My knees have been callused over for years. :lol:

Todd, is there a limit to the length of a split this will work on? I have some 48" stuff that I think is seasoned but it's in a pretty conspicous spot and I'm not sure I want the neighbors seeing me making out with my wood pile.

jpl1nh said:
Todd, is there a limit to the length of a split this will work on? I have some 48" stuff that I think is seasoned but it's in a pretty conspicous spot and I'm not sure I want the neighbors seeing me making out with my wood pile.

I am no expert but I believe it is one of those learned skills. Best to start small and work your way up.

This blowing bubbles thing has come up before and if you think about it, firewood has a small straw like stucture that holds water. Once the water is gone you should be able to pass air through. Don't know if size matters or not JPL. ;-P This last summer someone posted a thread where he tried hooking up compressed air into a split, guess he was a little shy. :lol:

Todd said:
This blowing bubbles thing has come up before and if you think about it, firewood has a small straw like stucture that holds water. Once the water is gone you should be able to pass air through. Don't know if size matters or not JPL. ;-P This last summer someone posted a thread where he tried hooking up compressed air into a split, guess he was a little shy. :lol:
Guess what really matters is quality, not quantity! ;-)

My wife said I had too much time on my hands joining a forum on woodburning, but some of these threads are downright hilarious!

The problem with the less expensive ones is that they really just read the exposed area of the wood and you need the calibration guides (if they supply one) for best accuracy. You really need to know what the content is in the heart of the wood. A good wood worker or mold inspector would pass the cheap ones bye!

You just drill a hole into a freshly split piece and insert the probe. no big deal gives you a good idea of what you have

nshif said:
You just drill a hole into a freshly split piece and insert the probe. no big deal gives you a good idea of what you have

Duh-Oh... what a simple solution, certainly didn't dawn on me.

Thanks! :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.