1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Green Slime?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by lukem, Mar 6, 2013.

1. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Is Slime tire sealant any good? I got a flat on my ATV dump cart, probably with a thorn. I expect it won't be the last one I get and wonder if I'm better of just sliming the tires instead of fixing leaks.

The current leak is slow....I'm actually not even sure where it is located.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I have use it for years now. Never had a tire issue after using it but it is kinda of expensive. (Tube about the same price)
  3. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I thought about a tube, but figured I'd probably just puncture it too. Those hedge thorns are hard on tires.
  4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    No question with thorns and I would go heavier than called for. Worth every penny.
  5. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Had a slow leak on the GT almost from day one. Finally got fed up a couple years ago and slimed all the tires.
    Haven't had a leak since.
  6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Probably depends on the usage and what causes the puncture . . . I used slime on my ATV tires and cut one of the tires on some shale . . . slime did nothing but make a mess. On a wheelbarrow I might be tempted to try the slime . . . or just toss in an inner tube and call it good.
  7. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    I was patching the wheelbarrow tire almost monthly. Then I bought a slimed inner tube, no issues since.
  8. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Yep, the tractor needed air every time I went out to use it.....almost daily. Very aggravating.
  9. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio
    tractors, dump carts are ok anything faster might have issues. have you looked into foam filled?
  10. midwestcoast

midwestcoast Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Indiana
    Have used it on small equipment for work with good results. Of course it won't make tires indestructible, but good for punctures.
    At high speeds it can cause vibration. Not an issue on ATV trailer.
  11. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I've heard that the DIY foam fill kits tend to break down when loaded heavily, which is pretty much every trip out with this cart. I can't find anyone locally that does foam filling.

I'll give the slime a try and see what happens.
  12. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    It's just fine at high speeds. I have it in my motorcycle tires which transport me on freeways over 70 mph. Good stuff, nobody likes a flat.
  13. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I have had it work on many leaks, but I also have had one truck tire that it would'nt fix. It needed a patch...and tire fixer people don't like slime (or any sealant). I heard several cuss words.:eek:
    PapaDave and Dairyman like this.
  14. Dairyman

Dairyman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwest MO
    I slime my 4wheeler and gator tires when new. When I start having flats I plug the leaks, the slime makes them very visible. After a year or two the slime either drys up or has all blown out so you have to add more. Once I had a hole so big that a plug wouldn't hold so I used a bolt and the slime kept it sealed till the tires were shot.
  15. Dairyman

Dairyman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwest MO
    I always warn the repair guy if there's slime, they really hate getting surprised with it.
    Jags likes this.
  16. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    We have seriously big Himalayan blackberries out here with major thorns. They usually get the garden lawmower/tractors with the first mowing. Flat tires on week old units is not uncommon. I slimed the tires of my lawn tractor, lawn cart and wheelbarrows and that was the end of the issue. Just be sure to use enough. Follow the directions. A big tire uses a lot.
  17. Bocefus78

Bocefus78 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside Indy
    The only guy who won't like a slimed tire is the one who has to make a new tire seal on that rim. I carry an emergency bottle in the truck all the time for the atv, splitter, cart, etc.
  18. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    A slow leak that can't be found with snoop might be a valve stem
    Seats on schrader valves can dry out or not reseat properly. Or they get rust/crack where the stem comes through the wheel - slime won't fix these leaks

I've had excellent results with it on the cracked sidewalls of my atv trailer
    I think I've had to add air once in the past 3 yrs
  19. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Not a valve stem...did the old spit test on that...plus the tires are less than a year old. Sliming it up tonight...
  20. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    I use it in lawn mowers and trailers and like it.
    Wheelbarrow was so bad, would get un-beaded easily, so I invested in a foam tire.
    Good investments both when you consider that stress shortens your life. Flats stress me.