Green split and delivered

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, with the high prices being paid out at the mill for hardwood pulp everyone is trucking to the mills. Our split/green/delivered firewood around here is about $200-$225/cord right now

I just had 3 cords delivered here to north Stamford for $570...cut and split last Summer/Fall...moisture meter says around 30% inside a large split so here's hoping it should be good to go this winter as I am busy stacking it in the sun and wind right now. I am also on the lookout for another 3 or 4 cords of cheap split or even fresh rounds to prepare for next year.

I guess I'm feeling lucky. I just had my second cord of seasoned and split red and white oak delivered for $150. I have another one coming next week.

Here in Plattsburgh I got a cord c/s/d (and seasoned) for $210 all hardwood.

(hey adkwoodburner, do you make it out in the high peaks at all?)

I didn't check today but about 3 weeks ago I post here green CSD wood was $55 a cord if you bought 10 or more face cords at a time...

...well what the heck I'll recheck and edit this post if there are any changes.

edit...

...North country firewood (the oldest continuing firewood service in this area...and they have a good reputation btw) is 52 per FC green wood plus 25 delivery Seasoned wood is 10 more a FC plus delivery.

That's for a 14 FC truckload ...if you just want a cord or two only it will cost way more per cord. Wood burners up here don't dick around with just a cord or 2...just say'en.

Rocky Reid said:
I just had 3 cords delivered here to north Stamford for $570...cut and split last Summer/Fall...moisture meter says around 30% inside a large split so here's hoping it should be good to go this winter as I am busy stacking it in the sun and wind right now. I am also on the lookout for another 3 or 4 cords of cheap split or even fresh rounds to prepare for next year.

I just had a long stack fall over and had to restack, and I was stunned at how much lighter the splits were after just about a month in full sun and near constant breeze/wind.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
Well, with the high prices being paid out at the mill for hardwood pulp everyone is trucking to the mills. Our split/green/delivered firewood around here is about $200-$225/cord right now

Pretty much the same here.

It seems ironic to me how much split and delivered cord wood is around so much of the great hardwooded Northeast. There are friggin trees everywhere, you'd think that would make the price a lot lower. I'm fortunate to live in a rural area thats actually quite close to all the centers of activity. I never buy wood. I can't even keep up with cutting all the standing dead. I have neighbors who are large land owners and let me clear standing and lying dead anytime I want. Guess if you live on a suburban 1/2 acre lot it's different.

Even though we have mostly only have ( softwood) to burn here in the PNW, I am sure glad I have 15 cords stashed at this time. You can bet your last nickel that firewood is gonna go up and up in price like everything else. Even so, great value compared to the alternatives. :coolgrin:

Just raised my price from $165 to $275 last week on green. Not going to let any seasoned out of the yard till Oct and at a min. of $350. Call me a gouger or what ever you want but it is what the market commands. My delivery list at these prices is growing daily!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cut my own off the place here and given how tired I feel after messing with it I figure labor, materials and the mortgage I am paying on every one of those trees comes out to somewhere around a thousand dollars a cord for that "free" wood.

We've dropped 3 dead trees (atleast 50' high) on my 1 acre + of heavily wooded oaks, with 3 more dead oaks, and 3 pines to follow, plus scrub pine, and branch trimming, etc. I've got about a full cord drying now, plus maybe 1/2 cord split left over from last winter.

A 500 piece count (mostly oak)was $165 last winter (the county is clamping down on unscroupulous firewood perpertrators), the guys are now selling by the piece here in my town ship. I expect $250 atleast for a delivery next year, hence the dead tree cutting.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
Just raised my price from $165 to $275 last week on green. Not going to let any seasoned out of the yard till Oct and at a min. of $350. Call me a gouger or what ever you want but it is what the market commands. My delivery list at these prices is growing daily!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gouger. Hope ya get stuck with a bunch of bug eaten wood. :lol:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ! Gotta love it ! For many years ,been workin for a measly living ! Now I can cash in on all those 14 hour days ,not gettin paid overtime.
It's what the market will bear is what I will recieve for wood this year.

READ IT AND WEEP !!!!!!!!!!
If not THIS ,then Erics signature !

LEES WOOD-CO said:

Whoa: a little brutal Lee. that`s painful. Hope you are giving your best customers a bit of a break.? Like my guy does.

Whoops, I forgot, you do 5000 cords per season. Ya, nothing like that around here. Not blaming ya, if you can`t make a profit, no sense staying in business. Which begs the question? bigger you get, the bigger the overhead? yes/no.. Thought I would pose this question to you, because it seems, that the small guy-without the processing plant, no drying place, etc. he just falls and bucks and says it is good to go,(which it usually isn`t) really doesn`t have a whole lot of overhead?

And that is all we have hereabouts, so I always buy ahead for next years burning. Seems like the more you spend in this kind of business, the lesser the return?

sonnyinbc said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:

Whoa: a little brutal Lee. that`s painful. Hope you are giving your best customers a bit of a break.? Like my guy does.

Whoops, I forgot, you do 5000 cords per season. Ya, nothing like that around here. Not blaming ya, if you can`t make a profit, no sense staying in business. Which begs the question? bigger you get, the bigger the overhead? yes/no.. Thought I would pose this question to you, because it seems, that the small guy-without the processing plant, no drying place, etc. he just falls and bucks and says it is good to go,(which it usually isn`t) really doesn`t have a whole lot of overhead?

And that is all we have hereabouts, so I always buy ahead for next years burning. Seems like the more you spend in this kind of business, the lesser the return?

You guys have NO idea what is coming down the pike IF fuel remains at $5+/gal and this housing crisis continues and I believe they are conected together.
I have been in this business personally for 20 years. My family before me for 5 generations.
I know this businees like the back of my hand.
My greenwood supply has dropped off by 80% over the past 2 years with a papermill in my area going tits-up during the same time. ie That should mean that my business would have more of a reasonable priced supply of greewood. IT HASN"T !!!!! Loggers are GONE !!!!!
I have been PM'd by other wood vendors on this forum and other forums that have expressed the same concern. It WILL get ugly for anyone who HAS to buy wood till this fuel situation works itself out.
I was forced to stop adding to my seasoned supply of wood around last December. That means NO supply of seasoned wood for the 09/10 heating season. If I have too much inventory at the end of this year then so be it. IT will be there for next year. From what I have been PM'd, alot of vendors are in this same situation. This logging "thing" is alot worse than you guys think!

My wife makes good $. I don't need to bust my AZZ for ungratefulls that don't realize the effort ,sacrifice, and $$$$$$$$$ I have put into this businees for 20 years. Brutal or not . You better look a little further back to the oil companies for blame. The high fuel price has brought this situation to a head.

Hey, supply and demand. It has to happen. Has to. I had to jump through hoops to get a good price this year on 2 winters worth of rounds which I'm splitting myself. I've still seen some decent prices around, but you have to look. One ad will say $150 per cord green, while the next will say $250. Shop around and buy early. Yee haw. This should be fun.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
You guys have NO idea what is coming down the pike IF fuel remains at $5+/gal and this housing crisis continues and I believe they are conected together.
I have been in this business personally for 20 years. My family before me for 5 generations.
I know this businees by the back of my hand.
My greenwood supply has dropped off by 80% over the past 2 years with a papermill in my area going tits-up during the same time. ie That should mean that my business would have more of a reasonable priced supply of greewood. IT HASN"T !!!!! Loggers are GONE !!!!!
I have been PM'd by other wood vendors on this forum and other forums that have expressed the same concern. It WILL get ugly for anyone who HAS to buy wood till this fuel situation works itself out.
I was forced to stop adding to my seasoned supply of wood around last December. That means NO supply of seasoned wood for the 09/10 heating season. If I have too much inventory at the end of this year then so be it. IT will be there for next year. From what I have been PM'd, alot of vendors are in this same situation. This logging "thing" is alot worse than you guys think!

My wife makes good $. I don't need to bust my AZZ for ungratefulls that don't realize the effort ,sacrifice, and $$$$$$$$$ I have put into this businees for 20 years. Brutal or not . You better look a little further back to the oil companies for blame. The high fuel price has brought this situation to a head.

OK, I may be the only one, but I'm not following. The loggers are gone why?

Nobody can afford to borrow money> nobody buys homes> builders can't sell homes> builders stop building homes> builders stop ordering lumber> mills shut down because there's no demand for their product> loggers drift away because the mills don't want any more wood. Could explain at least part of it...fuel prices are like the icing on the cake, except it's a cake none of us likes the taste of. Naive, perhaps, but that's my take on at least part of what's going on. Rick

fossil said:
Nobody can afford to borrow money> nobody buys homes> builders can't sell homes> builders stop building homes> builders stop ordering lumber> mills shut down because there's no demand for their product> loggers drift away because the mills don't want any more wood. Could explain at least part of it...fuel prices are like the icing on the cake, except it's a cake none of us likes the taste of. Naive, perhaps, but that's my take on at least part of what's going on. Rick

Gotcha. Thanks. It was the drop in housing construction part I was missing.

In my corner of the world, firewood comes from people's woodlots. Folks cut on weekends for their own use and some extra to sell to neighbors and make a couple bucks. Very little new home construction around here under any circumstances, so that part is really under the radar for me. Most people here already heat with wood, so there's only been a slight rise in the price asked to compensate for the increased cost of gasoline and diesel.

I don't see the difference between Oil companies charging more and wood suppliers charging more. It's very short sighted to gouge people for wood when it's a short lived spike. Your just as bad as big oil. Also, those of us that moved from oil to wood for the price will also move from wood to pellet, then pellet to solar until we find a reasonable fuel cost. It's sad to see someone jump right on the price band wagon for selfish gain. Oh, BTW I just spit 4 cords or wet wood in 10 hours in the baking sun, so don't even begin to try to describe how much work it is to harvest wood. I am well aware.

I'm NOT holding a gun to anyones head making them pay me for wood. Everyone has a choice. Neither are pellet ,oil,coal,electric,or propane companies.
My wood inventory will more than likely be gone by next spring and I'll be out of work so I'm going to make the best of what I got.My guys have been laid off since last fall and they will not return.
Currently looking into the biomass market till this supply thing blows over.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
I'm NOT holding a gun to anyones head making them pay me for wood. Everyone has a choice. Neither are pellet ,oil,coal,electric,or propane companies.
My wood inventory will more than likely be gone by next spring and I'll be out of work so I'm going to make the best of what I got.My guys have been laid off since last fall and they will not return.
Currently looking into the biomass market till this supply thing blows over.

Sorry to hear this is effecting your long run family business. Sounds like it is effecting lots of other workers also. As it is I doubt you made much money in the firewood business. With the rising costs and no source of additional wood I don't blame you for raising your prices. It is still far cheaper to heat with wood than any other source so far.

I couldn't even imagine comparing you to the billion dollar business's who are making billion dollar profits. They are price gouging for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.