Green Supreme test run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stillersnut

Sep 14, 2009
south central pa.
Just picked up some Green Supremes @ local Lowes. Having never burned them, only grabbed 4 bags. Read a lot of mixed reviews, I didn't know what to suspect. Fired stove up, after a fresh clean. My stove is a pellet snob, but really liked em. Better than a shoulder season burn. Air temp is running consisant @ 240-270 degrees and at only $194 a ton, is well worth it. Two hours in, clean flame, clean glass, & good heat. Not as hot as My Hammers or Sommersets but better than avg. Pellets were small & very little fines, good pine mix smell. NEWP got some good batches running(for now). Might pull the plug on a ton, before $$ goes up!

How do you measure the air temp? I burned some Green Supremes that I purchased at Tractor Supply and measured the air temp at 180. I had the feed rate at 4 of 6. What rate were you using? I measured the air temp using a digital meat themometer for my grill.

Stoves will produce different temps from brand to brand due to variables between them.

#1 They burn with different amounts of fuel added. More fuel added could mean a higher temp.

#2 They have different CFM blowers. More CFM could mean a lower temp.

#3 Each brand will have a different efficiency rating. Higher efficiency could have higher temp out the convection and lower exhaust temp.

I'm sure there are more variables that I missed. Only trying to say that Your XXV may not see the same temps as his Gnome might. Even with the same pellet used.

Another factor to take into consideration is that TSC stores their pellets outside whereas Lowes at least usually keeps them under cover. So the same brand might well have a higher moisture content and hence a slower (not as hot) burn rate if purchased from TSC.

I take temp, by meat thermometer, with probe mounted 1" above my heat exchanger tube. (not touching any metal) My stove is a 6 year old Thelin Gnome. No auto start, thermostat, and all manual adjustments(high, med, low) like to keep it simple. Heats my 1100 sq. foot cabin easily. I do have OAK & adjust (manually) air intake. Try backing off your air intake, worked for me. I usually burn all hardwood, mostly hammer, barefoot, sommerset. I believe the blends don't need as much air.

Never like to buy pellets stored outside, like TSC. I'm a firm believer that they do absorb some humidity. Especially w/ all the rain in the east, this year. This definatly can cause a temp diff. by several degrees. Also every bag and pallet is different. I've purchased several tons of same brand, & have had a huge difference in temp.

I hate to say it but Green Supreme Pellets are stored outside at the mill. I was at the Schuyler plant weekly and there pellets are outside in the rain sun and other Central NY weather. I don't know if Lowes putting them inside once they get them is going to help at all. I would say find the best price then make the other take 10% off and make sure they cover bags are in good shape. My quad Castile was showing some good temps with the NEWP/Green Supreme. Eden 215 F, Cubex 212 F, NEWP 208 F

You are right, some pellet plants do wrap, & store outside; However when delivered, and stored outside for a longer period of exposer to the elements can degrade these pellets. I have seen, "walked outside" the TSC yard, & saw many bags of potentially good heat , getting wet. It is my opinion that once delivered , it is best to store out of elements. It is truly impossible to keep them totally out of weather.

Meneillys said:
I hate to say it but Green Supreme Pellets are stored outside at the mill. I was at the Schuyler plant weekly and there pellets are outside in the rain sun and other Central NY weather.....

Same for the new Deposit plant. Although they claim the pellets are stored indoors, I was just past there last week, and there are MANY, MANY tons sitting outside.

defrob said:
How do you measure the air temp? I burned some Green Supremes that I purchased at Tractor Supply and measured the air temp at 180. I had the feed rate at 4 of 6. What rate were you using? I measured the air temp using a digital meat themometer for my grill.

FYI unless you are running that Harman XXV at hyper speed there is no need to have the feed rate at 4. You could be wasting pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.