Green Supreme

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see this thread getting locked down soon...

I thought we all do...don't we???!!!
Lol...I will try to put it back in track.

To the OP. Green Supreme are the same as those New England Wood pellets. Possible different mills and probably some batch variance if they were from the same mill. These pellets in my experience ;) have more ash and feed slower than most. Your Harman will take care of the feed rate and the ash is a personal thingy

Reactions: iceguy4
C'mon you know it's true. Just trying to goad you guys. I quit smoking 3 days ago. Very angry, hmmm.

No. >>

Reactions: iceguy4
C'mon you know it's true. Just trying to goad you guys. I quit smoking 3 days ago. Very angry, hmmm.
Been 8 or 10 years for me...still get the urge :confused: Just don't become a "reformed whore" and good luck to you....besides with that POS stove you have you'll need all the time you got to fix it!!! Only Kidding...goading...lol

Now that's funny. I like that. Best $175 I ever spent

It is 1 of those lesser stoves after all. Last comment. Anyone who believes their Harman magically make GS burn better than Okanagans has not learned crap after his 1st season of burning pellets

I'm running a Harman Accentra, freestanding. They burned ok, not the hottest. Ash was high in my opinion as well. If nothing else is available, I won't be cold, but they're far from my first choice.

Not sure were this is all going but the last thing I drove this weekend was a Skidoo Mach 1, And very fast to say the least, Also drove a Polairs and if we had an Arctic cat or a yamaha or an old Kawasaki, I would of drove them as well...

Well, I've considered this winter to be my learning year of pellet stove ownership. Back in August of last year I installed a new Harman 52i , which went quite smoothly. I purchased 1 ton each of New Englands, Black Hills, and Okanagan pellets. Blew through them by the end of January and needed to pick up another ton to get me through the remainder of the winter. Rather than spending the $280+ for one of the brands above I went to Lowes and saw they had some Green Supremes. I picked up 1 ton and took them home.

I started using the Green Supremes despite still having 10 or so bags of Okanagans left. My house has been warmer while using the Green Supremes than while using any of the brands above. My upstairs is never above 62 with the other brands and for some reason now it gets to 68 easily. My downstairs is now routinely above 70 (thermostat is quite far from the pellet stove).

So, I've learned there is no reason to spend $290 on Okanagans when the $220 brand will heat your home better.

Last year we burned a lot of Green Supreme in our Accentra FS with great results. Good heat, low fines, moderate ash. At the end of the season I picked up a number of bags of Black Hills and loved them. But, the GS were $4.18/bag ($209/ton) at HD and the Black Hills were $7/bag at my local dealer. By any calculation they were not worth the price differential.

This year we have burned FSU exclusively (not counting the trial bags of every pellet I come across) and could not be happier. Great heat, minimal change in cleaning schedule (by which I mean scraping the burn pot a tiny bit more often) and little ash.

Despite being a novice at this, I agree with your conclusion. IMHO the relatively small differential in heat between the 'high priced spread' and my GS or FSU's does not justify the increased price. Even if I burn 5, 6 or even 10 more bags of FSU to equal the theoretical heat output of a more expensive pellet, I am still ahead of the game.

Putting aside any discount for buying by the ton, 50 bags of Black Hills would have cost $350. 60 bags of FSU would only cost $250 - assuming I had to burn that many extra bags to achieve equal heat. To me the answer is obvious. So long as the stove burns them well, without adverse impact on maintenance, the lower priced pellet makes more sense. Moreover, while we can make all sorts of calculations based on bags burned, temperature of the air leaving the stove, BTUs, etc., the only true test is whether the house is as warm as you want. In the real world I am not at all sure that BTU output is directly proportional to warmth and comfort in any given setting. Just one (novice) man's option.

Anyone who believes their Harman magically make GS burn better than Okanagans
My Harman does it really does MAGIC... It burns Gs and saves me enough $$$ so I can buy...BEER...good quality beer ...cold...frosty....I digress. The thing I have learned after TWO seasons burning pellets(life time wood burner). And a combined...30,000+ lbs of various pellets.... My full 1 1/2 year of research prior to ANY purchase...1) the STOVE makes ALL the difference (actually how it feeds pellets). 2) pellets are made from wood...3) burning wood produces ash...4) People seem to want to blame the pellet first 5) some posters are incapable of original thought... and just"parrot" what they read 6) its human nature ...left un-checked people like to "put down"7) you cant breed crows and get canaries...8) I should have take-en that job on the fishing boat....I'd be a "master baiter" by now...;em

I drive a Dodge and have an "imported" US Stove Co stove 3rd season with it. So far I have only come across two brands that I would rather burn oil than. Inferno and wood fibers inc. All others burn with varied results, some more heat and less ash, some more ash and less heat, and some with low ash and low heat.

Plan to upgrade the stove this spring and the adventure will start all over again. New stove different burn characteristics. All a fun hobby just the same!!

It is 1 of those lesser stoves after all. Last comment. Anyone who believes their Harman magically make GS burn better than Okanagans has not learned crap after his 1st season of burning pellets

Where did I say my Harman MAGICALLY burns GS' hotter than Okanagans?!?! In MY experience in MY home it would appear that buying the GS' was a better value as they seem to be keeping my house warmer. Now have I taken into consideration all factors like wind speed and snow coverage, no I haven't. But what I can tell you is that when the outside air temp dipped to single digits I needed to kick the boiler on to keep my upstair above/at 60 and my downstairs above/at 64 with Okanagans. There has been some nights recently that have dipped into the single digits and my upstairs stayed at 63 and my downstairs at 64 without any input of my boiler. The enitre winter my upstairs has been no higher than 62 at any given time with NEWP, Black Hills, or Okanagans but now for some reason it routinely gets to 68. As I type this out the upstairs is at 64. So I can deduce that the GS' are in my experience keeping my house warmer. Nothing magical happening.

The ash is a bit higher but for the savings I will deal with the ash. I also might be burning an extra bag or two a week which I am fine with. Just don't see a reason to spend $300+ on a ton of pellets when $220 does the job just fine.

My Harman does it really does MAGIC... It burns Gs and saves me enough $$$ so I can buy...BEER...good quality beer ...cold...frosty....I digress. The thing I have learned after TWO seasons burning pellets(life time wood burner). And a combined...30,000+ lbs of various pellets.... My full 1 1/2 year of research prior to ANY purchase...1) the STOVE makes ALL the difference (actually how it feeds pellets). 2) pellets are made from wood...3) burning wood produces ash...4) People seem to want to blame the pellet first 5) some posters are incapable of original thought... and just"parrot" what they read 6) its human nature ...left un-checked people like to "put down"7) you cant breed crows and get canaries...8) I should have take-en that job on the fishing boat....I'd be a "master baiter" by now...;em

By the amount of Green Supremes and NEWP that are sold I would say most ,if not all stoves can handle them just fine.

I drive a Dodge and have an "imported" US Stove Co stove 3rd season with it. So far I have only come across two brands that I would rather burn oil than. Inferno and wood fibers inc. All others burn with varied results, some more heat and less ash, some more ash and less heat, and some with low ash and low heat.

Plan to upgrade the stove this spring and the adventure will start all over again. New stove different burn characteristics. All a fun hobby just the same!!

You are right about the Infernos and Wood Fibers Inc. Only pellets I would not buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.