Green Supremes not very...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

midfielder

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2011
NH
Having burned a ton of NEWPs this winter and finding them not too bad, I picked up a few bags of GSs at the local TS just for kicks - they had tons and tons. Tried them out last night and could hardly get them to do anything - big disappointment. They just sat there in the pot struggling to burn like they were treated with fire retardant or something! So I'm mixing them 50/50 with Vermonts, basically using the Vermonts to burn the GSs, haha... Surprised they seemed so much worse than the branded NEWPs from earlier in the season - different run, I guess. I'm assuming they came from the local Jaffery plant like the ton I burned, and not from NY, but no way of knowing that.

No problem at all with Green Supreme s.
Chuck

Yeah, that's what I see some others say too. I had no real trouble with the NEWPS either, so this surprised me.

Could be a picky stove. Or possibly improper adjustment?
I`ve burned some real trashy pellets in my 25PDVC and my P-38 but the issue was always the increased ash content.
Both my stoves have always burned both good and not so good pellets satisfactorily into a fine ash. Yeah , there can be noticeable differences of heat output but not extreme.

Sure - I can play "Up, up, up, with the fuel trims" but the pellets still are weak sauce. Stove burns most stuff fine - FUs, other NEWPs, Pennis, etc.

midfielder said:
Sure - I can play "Up, up, up, with the fuel trims" but the pellets still are weak sauce. Stove burns most stuff fine - FUs, other NEWPs, Pennis, etc.

I don't like Green Supreme's either!!

I just went back to an earlier posting from late last yr when I finished off my only ton of Green Supremes. I must have forgotten how lousy they were. Evidently I wasn`t too impressed with them . Way too much ash compared to others I`ve burned.

I have Green Supremes in the stove now for testing and I am not happy with them either. My heat output is not good at all.

But, that's why all of those here with extensive pellet experience tell us - "only buy a few bags before you load up the pellet storage space with tons of something your stove doesn't like!"

So, thanks to all of you for your pellet wisdom! :coolsmirk:

I'm with chuckster above, I bought a ton of Green Supreme at my local TSC last Nov. and they're burning great for me. They're averaging
240-255 degrees output from my stove and they're super clean for me. My batch has had less ash than other brands that I've burned this Winter
and my door glass stays clear for 2 days before I have to clean it. I did the leaf blower trick last week after burning 3/4 ton GS and about 12 bags of Green Team and I got hardly nothing out of the venting- Just a hint of soot and my clean out cup in my " T " only had a little bit of ash in the bottom. I was really surprised as to how clean the GS burns. I'd buy these again if the quality stays the same. As the other forum members mentioned, each stove burn pellets differently.

Not too bad in my beast. Heat was OK, But I didn't do any cartwheels over them. Couple bucks more and I could score stuff with more heat. I would burn them if scored really cheap!

Mine have been good. A little above average heat. Some cigar ash in the pot. A little carbon on the side of the pot. Low ash. Clean glass. Good price. Mine are dated 11-11. Looks like I'll have some left for next season. Try B4 buy.

to the OP.......are they damp? Put them (a handful) in a bowl, throw a clear plate on top, put the microwave on for 2 minutes, and see if there is much moisture on the bottom of the plate....if so, damp pellets. Prior to ignition, the water must be driven off, so, the more the moisture, the harder it is to ignite.

Status
Not open for further replies.