Green Supremes stink - literally

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have about a half ton of them in my garage. No strange odors there.
Haven't burned anything yet so can't say if there's any odd
colors in them but will report back here if anything out of the
ordinary is in there when I do.

I just went to lowes today and they had a few bags of Presto-Logs and a few pallets of Green Supreme. Every Bag of the Green Supreme had the same issue as the OP has stated different colors of plastic red, yellow and blue needless to say i went with the Presto logs.

Just for some closure, and in fairness to Green Supreme pellets;

I've been eyeballing the pellets (Green Supreme) as I put them in the hopper. I've only been burning less than ½ a day, so not too many passed by. I found only one more pellet that had color on it. It was more like paint than plastic. I soaked it, and it turned out to be part of a knot - really hard, reddish wood. That's no problem. The smell has dissipated, too. There are still quite a few blackened pellets, but they're fine by me.

I like the way these burn so much that I went back and bought another ½ ton. Lots of heat, but more ash than the Instant Heats. That's no problem, the Croix is very easy to clean.

I guess I'll never know the reason for the smell or color smears - just one more unexplained occurrence in life!

I now have a little over 1 ton stored in the garage, all hauled home in my Flex, 1000 lbs. at a time. I'm just a mini-mini-pellet pig(let).

I just put the three bags I had in the hopper. After reading this thread I looked carefully and did not see any strange colors. I am very impresed with the way these burn...I added them to my potential buy list next year they burn so well.

Glad to hear you did not see many more..but this post is a good reminder to take a lookat your pellets as you never know what you may find.

I got an inside tidbit and from what was said is. NEWP does not add plastic-paint to their product. It must have came in with the load of dust/chips/wood. It was something that may have slipped past.

I went to my local TSC and dug thru the open pallet they had on the floor. I didn't see anything and they smelled like wood pellets should.

j-takeman said:
I got an inside tidbit and from what was said is. NEWP does not add plastic-paint to their product. It must have came in with the load of dust/chips/wood. It was something that may have slipped past.

I went to my local TSC and dug thru the open pallet they had on the floor. I didn't see anything and they smelled like wood pellets should.

Hey J, are NEWP the same pellet company as New England Pellets? I ask because I can buy Green Supremes(made by NEWP) for 207.00 a ton. My favorite dealer is selling New England pellets for 270.00 a ton. He told me the New Englands are the same as Clear Choice. I love the Clear Choice but I do not love the Green Supremes that I have been trying. Sooooo, are they different companies? Thanks.

PJPellet said:
j-takeman said:

Hey J, are NEWP the same pellet company as New England Pellets? I ask because I can buy Green Supremes(made by NEWP) for 207.00 a ton. My favorite dealer is selling New England pellets for 270.00 a ton. He told me the New Englands are the same as Clear Choice. I love the Clear Choice but I do not love the Green Supremes that I have been trying. Sooooo, are they different companies? Thanks.

I saw a video on youtube where Hassle & Hughes were bagging CleanFire hardwoods. Hassle & Hughes makes the GreenWay pellet. Then I was told the NEWP was bagging them. So not 100% sure. There was a member that saw NEWP bagging the CleanFire hardwoods. CleanFire hardwoods are the same pellets as the Clear Choice hardwood.

CleanFire Pacific's softwoods are the same as Clear Choice softwoods(these pellets are BC softwoods)

AFAIK Green Supreme's are the Same pellet as the NEWP's and Warm Fronts. They are bagged in 3 different plants so there could be some slight batch variance. But from what NEWP has passed on to there dealers is they are keeping the quality control to within minimal margins between the 3 seperate plants.

j-takeman said:
PJPellet said:
j-takeman said:

I saw a video on youtube where Hassle & Hughes were bagging CleanFire hardwoods. Hassle & Hughes makes the GreenWay pellet. Then I was told the NEWP was bagging them. So not 100% sure. There was a member that saw NEWP bagging the CleanFire hardwoods. CleanFire hardwoods are the same pellets as the Clear Choice hardwood.

CleanFire Pacific's softwoods are the same as Clear Choice softwoods(these pellets are BC softwoods)

AFAIK Green Supreme's are the Same pellet as the NEWP's and Warm Fronts. They are bagged in 3 different plants so there could be some slight batch variance. But from what NEWP has passed on to there dealers is they are keeping the quality control to within minimal margins between the 3 seperate plants.

Okay. That clears things up for me, thank you very much. BIG difference between the Clear Choice and the Green Supreme I am using now. So far everything seems to burn about the same in my stove, the only difference is the noise of the auger feeding the pellets. Some pellets make the stove sound like it has a gremlin in there hammering away when the auger is feeding the pellets into the burnpot. The two pellets so far that have done this are the Green Supreme and the Barefoots. My fave is still the Allegheny's with the beaver chewing a stick on the front of the bag. Quiet, hot, longer lasting, just a bit more ash than the others but not bad. Thanks Again!

I have two tons of green supremes in my garage and do not smell anything but a slight wood smell. When I first stacked them I had this faint smell that I thought was the plastic bags. After a couple of days nothing but a slight wood smell. I have burned about 5 bags, sifted, and nothing but good looking pellets in the bags with very minimal fines. So far they have burned fine with light ash and good heat. I would not hesitate to buy them again.

Welcome! Lots of good info and good people here - enjoy!

oldmountvernon said:
i had 6 ton delivered this week they are all still wrapped in the garage no smell yet. Unwrapped 1 ton tonight opened a bag to test out the stove in the garage before installing ( it is used ) seemed like quite a bit of sparking ambers i guess is the term but everything looked ok.. ( but then again im a newb :p )

The way Quadrafires burn-pot is designed, you are going to have a lot of embers. When new pellets drop into the burn area is when you will see tje most. But just under normal running conditions, there is a lot of air coming into the holes of the burn pot. As the pellets burn down into nothing and get much lighter. They get pushed into the airstream and ejected out of the pot..

Welcome. Is this an older "non AE Mt. Vernon? 6 tons..... Thats a lot and qualifies you to become an honorary member of the Pellet Pig Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.