Green Supremes vs Oakies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmountvernon

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2011
SE Mass
all i can say is OH MY GOD ! I have to be honest being a newbie i really deep inside said blah a pellet is a pellet.
I played around today let my hopper empty out on Quad setting with GS got 180 Degrees coming out.
I dumped in some oakies BAM 240 degrees coming out my wife opened the sliding door and a few windows yelling " you nuts ! " we were all sweating :D
I wasnt a believer in pellet stoves, then you guys got me addicted
NOW i am a believer in Premium pellets !
Even my buddy said dont screw around get the oakies ( of course i laughed and said i saved 120 per ton )
Now i understand why he said the heat will get to your bedroom just fine, The GS 180 isnt enough heat to make it all the way but im sure these oakies will

Are Hamers suppose to be as good as Oakies?

That is why you'll hear some forum members mention buying cheaper "shoulder season" pellets. When a lot of heat isn't needed, like in the fall and early spring, the cheaper pellets will work and save you some $$. Save the Oakies for the real cold winter weather.

As for the Hamers, they are on par with the Oakies, and maybe even a little hotter burning.....good pellet!

hi oldmountvernon.im in norton.whereabouts are you and where did you get the okies and hamers

As for the Hamers, they are on par with the Oakies, and maybe even a little hotter burning.....good pellet![/quote]

Oakies are really expensive around here. I burn Hamers and I'm glad to here that they are about equal. They cost about $75 less a ton than Oakies.

oldmountvernon said:
all i can say is OH MY GOD ! I have to be honest being a newbie i really deep inside said blah a pellet is a pellet.
I played around today let my hopper empty out on Quad setting with GS got 180 Degrees coming out.
I dumped in some oakies BAM 240 degrees coming out my wife opened the sliding door and a few windows yelling " you nuts ! " we were all sweating :D
Even my buddy said dont screw around get the oakies ( of course i laughed and said i saved 120 per ton )
Now i understand why he said the heat will get to your bedroom just fine, The GS 180 isnt enough heat to make it all the way but im sure these oakies will

I assume it was the same heat level. But did they burn at the same rate as in lbs/hr? I ask because I was burning Curran's Blend. I measured my heat output at 250...WoW...but then I realized on the same setting I was burning 3.2lbs/hr compared to 2.6lbs/hr. I am now going back through my notes and re-doing them. Last year I did not take this into account.

May be a dumb question but with Harman's "computer" would I see a temperature difference if I tried something like Oakies instead of the Green Supreme? My understanding is that if I left the dial on stove temp that it maintains a "stove temp." So I am not sure that I would see a temperature difference like you all talk about. I could see using less pellets on the same stove temp setting though.

mepellet said:
May be a dumb question but with Harman's "computer" would I see a temperature difference if I tried something like Oakies instead of the Green Supreme? My understanding is that if I left the dial on stove temp that it maintains a "stove temp." So I am not sure that I would see a temperature difference like you all talk about. I could see using less pellets on the same stove temp setting though.

put it this way, i could put my hand right up against the front of the stove without any problem where the air is being blown out with GS

with the oakies i was 16 inches away and my hand was burning i couldnt get 6 inches away it was that hot. im very impressed

Im not saying oakies are the best as this is the only premium i have ever burned but boy am i a Premium pellet believer now

corkman said:
hi oldmountvernon.im in norton.whereabouts are you and where did you get the okies and hamers

Oakies were in Berkley $ 290 i am going to call tomorrow to see if they restocked as they were out 2 weeks ago

Hamers are suppose to be coming to Achusnet around thanksgiving

IHATEPROPANE said:
oldmountvernon said:

I assume it was the same heat level. But did they burn at the same rate as in lbs/hr? I ask because I was burning Curran's Blend. I measured my heat output at 250...WoW...but then I realized on the same setting I was burning 3.2lbs/hr compared to 2.6lbs/hr. I am now going back through my notes and re-doing them. Last year I did not take this into account.

IHP i didnt do a real test per say , i just wanted to see the direct difference between these 2 brands My buddy gave me a bag of oakies to try

i didnt change any settings matter a fact the stove never stopped burning i didnt let it run completley out but just about maybe a hand ful left then dumped in the oakies and heat boost!.

oldmountvernon said:

i like the okies better than the hamers . i think they are hotter & cleaner.but i still think barefoots are the hottest

oldmountvernon said:
mepellet said:

put it this way, i could put my hand right up against the front of the stove without any problem where the air is being blown out with GS

with the oakies i was 16 inches away and my hand was burning i couldnt get 6 inches away it was that hot. im very impressed

Im not saying oakies are the best as this is the only premium i have ever burned but boy am i a Premium pellet believer now

I'm not doubting your experience. I am just wondering if with the Harman stove temp mode if I would see the same thing. The stove temp mode from what I understand keeps a consistent stove temp. Therefore, the convection air discharge should be the same temperature? Right?

oldmountvernon said:

I suggest you try the Vermont pellets as well. I'm a newbie myself and my only experience so far is with Stove Chow and Vermonts. The temperature difference is huge.

The cost for the chow was almost $100 less than the Vermont's but if I could do it again I would buy all Vermonts because I feel like I'm burning less pellets so the price equals out to be around the same.

Well, if this thread doesn't make "Mr Warm" smile!
Okies vs "rebagged NEWP's" is a smackdown....:)

So anyone know where in NH you can get okies? As a newbie I purchased GS from Lowes and have been happy but the cold weather is not here yet.

jdege said:
So anyone know where in NH you can get okies? As a newbie I purchased GS from Lowes and have been happy but the cold weather is not here yet.

Eastcoast lumber in E. Hampstead, but be prepare to pay....................around $360/1.3 ton (65 bags)

johnnycomelately said:

Sounds more like a TKO to me.....

Harman Lover 007 said:
johnnycomelately said:

Sounds more like a TKO to me.....

You fella's better quit that, Your giving "Mr Warm" a big fat head! ;-) hehe

I miss his input on this forum and really appreciated his insight in the industry. It would be nice to have him back, as he was a valuable resource. Oh...those damn egos.

Status
Not open for further replies.