Green Team vs Pres-to-Logs (Heat Output)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teddy1971

Jul 10, 2008
Orange County NY
I've been using Pres-to-Logs mostly to heat the house this early in the season. I was saving the Green Teams for mid-winter since they received such great reviews from everyone. Earlier this week my wife brought up a bag of Green Teams instead of the Pres-to-Logs from the basement. I was too lazy to take it back downstairs so I used the bag. There was a noticable difference in heat (much lower than the Pres-to-Logs). I thought it was a fluke so I continued to use the Green Teams for the next 3 days and even my wife said she was colder than she was before. She asked if the stove was working properly. I also noticed that the flame was not as high with the Green Team as they were with the Pres-to-Logs. There was a significant reduction in ashe with Green Team but also a reduction in heat output. Has anyone else run into this. For me it looks like I will be using up the Green Teams sooner than later and saving the Pres-to-Logs for the Dead of winter.

I've stopped using the Green Teams and started using the Pres-to-Logs again and even with the temps dropping down into the high teens at night the whole house is toasty warm (Much warmer than with the Green Teams). The Lowes near me is still running the pellet special from earlier in the season. And they have a lot of pellets. I'll probably wait until late Feb and see what they have left. If they have any Pres-to-Logs on hand at a decent price I'll definitely pick up 2 or three tons for next season. Hopefully I can get them for $200 a Ton or less.

Yep, as I said in my review of the Pres to Logs a while back, they are a good pellet. I wouldn't hesitate at all burning them as my main pellet.

Like you said, hopefully some will be left over toward the end of the winter, and we can scap-up a few tons for next winter. Boy, if i could get them for around $200/ton, that would be awesome!

First year for green team with the Harman pf100 furnace.
Have to clean the burn pot twice a day...what a pain.
Used different pellets last year, and no problem, although
not the hot heat like from the green team.
I guess nothing is perfect, even my wife.
Glad she doesn't read these!!

My son brought up some green teams yesterday because he did not know about the Pres-to-Logs. I decided to mix the green teams with the remaining prestologs I had in the pellet pail. You would not believe the amount of clinkers that I found in the ash pan when I cleaned it out. The more I use the green teams the more I wish I had purchased all prestologs. I will be definitely be holding out to the very end of the season before the green teams touch my stove again. They don't seem as good as even the Dry Creek I used last season.

Teddy1971 said:
My son brought up some green teams yesterday because he did not know about the Pres-to-Logs. I decided to mix the green teams with the remaining prestologs I had in the pellet pail. You would not believe the amount of clinkers that I found in the ash pan when I cleaned it out. The more I use the green teams the more I wish I had purchased all prestologs. I will be definitely be holding out to the very end of the season before the green teams touch my stove again. They don't seem as good as even the Dry Creek I used last season.

I too have had alot of clinkers from Greene Team made 11/08 but plenty of heat from them. My stove just oushes them out, so no biggie here. I have othere Greene Team dated 02/09 that produce no clinkers whatsoever, but alot of fluffy ash and plent o heat.

Check the dates on your bags. Curious if they match up my 11/08.

Mine are straight from the mill.....8 ton dated 06/09
Love the heat, but have to clean the burn pot daily....
It could just be my furnace though.
Am going to give my son three bags tonight and trade
him 3 bags of his Bayou.....he says they are burning great
for him, no ash at all., cleans once a week only has a spoonful
in his burn pot.

I have no complaints with mine but I must admit I have not burned any pres-to-logs. My stove seems to love them.

Havent tried the Pres-to-Logs, but did try out a few bags of Green team earlier this season.
Thought they were a decent burning pellet compared to some of the other test
brands I tried out.

Only issue I had with them was the inconsistant pellet length. Pellets bridged the
hopper TWICE in the same day shutting down the stove. First time this has happened
since owning the stove. After the second shutdown, I cleaned out the hopper and
chopped up the pellets more...problem solved.

My Greene Team pellets are not large at all. From 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch, and soft.
Being soft might be the reason they burn so hot. No a trace of fines; but so much
ash. Like I said, have to clean the burn pot every day.
They call them hardwood.

I also burned some Green Teams. Good heat, decent ash. Long pellets some close to 2". Long pellets don't bother my stove. Would I burn them again? Yes

I also burned some Pres to logs. Decent heat, a little more ash than expected. The batch I got was dark in color. Others are saying creamy color. May be some batch variance out there. Would I burn them again? sure, But in the shoulders if I get this same batch.

tinkabranc said:
Havent tried the Pres-to-Logs, but did try out a few bags of Green team earlier this season.
Thought they were a decent burning pellet compared to some of the other test
brands I tried out.

Only issue I had with them was the inconsistant pellet length. Pellets bridged the
hopper TWICE in the same day shutting down the stove. First time this has happened
since owning the stove. After the second shutdown, I cleaned out the hopper and
chopped up the pellets more...problem solved.

I was very happy with Greene Team pellets last year. I provided a few posts indicating that. This year I have noticed that there are more long pellets and have had the same hopper bridging problem on 3 ocasions. I have also noticed that I am getting more ash buildup in the burnpot. Overall I am happy since I got a pretty good deal on them. I may be looking for other options next year though

Status
Not open for further replies.