Green wood I.D.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I took a load of limbs and shrubs for my friend to the local recycling center this weekend and came home with this. There was a lot more but not knowing what it was I only took about 1/4 truck load. Any guesses???? There was no adjustments made to the pics, there was a bright green skin under the thin grey bark and the pieces when wet had a very green hue to them.

I spent about 45min between rain storms to split and stack some maple.

Attachments

• GREEN2.jpg
    GREEN2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 257
  • GREEN1.jpg
    GREEN1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 279
  • QICKSTACK.jpg
    QICKSTACK.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 254
ckarotka said:
I took a load of limbs and shrubs for my friend to the local recycling center this weekend and came home with this. There was a lot more but not knowing what it was I only took about 1/4 truck load. Any guesses???? There was no adjustments made to the pics, there was a bright green skin under the thin grey bark and the pieces when wet had a very green hue to them.

I spent about 45min between rain storms to split and stack some maple.

Birch

It really looked like birch dry yesterday but I just wasn't sure. How's it for firewood? should I try to go back and get the rest? There is probably a full size pick-up load left.??

OK the chart I just read says that all the birches are better than the maple I just got so....another trip to the dump is on the schedule :)

Looks like quaking aspen to me.

heus said:
Looks like quaking aspen to me.
I thought that but doesnt seem white enough.

Well maybe it should stay where it is. I hate to go through all the work more low btu wood. I have enough of that already.
Thanks.

No doubt in my mind . . . poplar . . . aka aspen . . . aka popple . . . the smooth gray bark and green underneath is the give-away. Try rubbing the wood when it is dry . . . and see if a light powder comes off the bark . . . although this may not happen if the tree has been cut and down for some time.

Not the best wood to burn compared to oak, sugar maple, etc. . . . but free wood is good wood . . . good for kindling or for the shoulder season fires.

I also think it is aspen/poplar (same tree, different names). The smaller limbs of aspen often have a similar look as birch, but the bark is greener and the dark 'chevrons' are not as distinct as they would be on most birches. it will burn and should season pretty fast, but won't last as long as birch.

Status
Not open for further replies.