Green wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
hickory cart.jpg Split this, this morning. I have an idea although not sure of the species.

Oak!

Guess it could be. However I also split oak this morning (look at my book splits thread pic). It is much different than any oak I've had. It was also a different tree than the oak tree when I scrounged it for free off CL.

Mmmmm Red Oak. That underbark wood pattern is pretty unique from all I have seen.

Reactions: smokinj
Mmmmm Red Oak. That underbark wood pattern is pretty unique from all I have seen.
I've had plenty of red oak before. This is brown, just like in the pic. Can it be brown like that?

I've had plenty of red oak before. This is brown, just like in the pic. Can it be brown like that?

Yep you got hartwood there and looks curly.....

Reactions: jeff_t
Yep you got hartwood there and looks curly.....
It is heartwood. The outside was punky. Now that its dry its not as dark brown. It looks like white oak to me.

It is heartwood. The outside was punky. Now that its dry its not as dark brown. It looks like white oak to me.

Could be Iam not the greatest id'er on kinds of oak.

I also think it is oak. I am not sure why but I'd guess it is Black Oak.

Picture update (taken about 4 hrs after split). What a difference a few hours make. On the left is what I knew was oak, assumed red, on the right I was hoping for hickory, now that its dry, its also oak, hoping white. Oak update.jpg

Picture update (taken about 4 hrs after split). What a difference a few hours make. On the left is what I knew was oak, assumed red, on the right I was hoping for hickory, now that its dry, its also oak, hoping white. View attachment 76030

Sure looks white now. I had a few white oaks I thought where red until the next day.

One of the White Oaks,if not White itself,either Bur Oak,Chestnut Oak or one of the others.

Bur Oak is a bit darker than most,some is medium-dark brown even when dry,most in the group is light tan or very light brown.

Smell it.If it smells nice & 'vanilla-ish' or like inside a whisky barrel,its a White.If it smells sour & nasty- like mouldy Provolone,its a Red lol.

Reactions: onetracker
Status
Not open for further replies.