Green Wood Stored Inside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poult

Jan 12, 2008
Northern NYS
How long will it take green wood stacked in a wood house to dry? I have about 5 cords stacked inside for next year and I'm wondering if I should have left it to air dry outside first (not that I'm going to take it back out . . .). It's mixed hardwood, oak, cherry and maple. Should this be left for 2010-2011 instead of 2009-2010 like I had planned? Or I could take the sides off of the building. Any thoughts on this?

The experts here that burn oak say it takes 2 years to season. As far as the rest of your green wood goes if you don't intend to use it till next year I would bet that you'd be good to go...wood seasons better outdoors exposed to the elements.

Do whatever you can to ventilate the space the wood's in. Rick

Catskill said:
The wood will take FOREVER to season inside. It will go moldy inside and give off enormous amount of humidity. Put it outside.

Sadly, I have to second this comment. Used to just stack my wood inside the wood sheds and it got mouldy and never dried properly(and this is softwood). Outside in nice rows off the ground from March till Nov. at least and that will give your wood a decent start. yes, you can move some inside after that.

Also, should mention make sure your woodshed has lots of ventilation. Last year, I had to remove every second horizontal board on mine. Much better now. :)

Dang. OK, I guess the sides will have to come off. Then it would just be roofed over and maybe I could get away with it drying that way?

That would be the best way to dry it - roof over it and sides off.

Poult said:
Dang. OK, I guess the sides will have to come off. Then it would just be roofed over and maybe I could get away with it drying that way?

Airflow is important in drying out the wood.

My parents always stacked their wood in a woodshed. totally enclosed. Left a few of the windows open. He would also leave the two doors, one on each end open during the entire summer. He gets his wood delivered in the fall and the followign fall it is ready to burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.