Greene Team Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT-Mike

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2008
New England
So based on all the reviews I purchased 8T of Greene Team's from the local Lowe's when they had them.

Question is are these a good year round pellet, or more shoulder season. Just asking to make sure I don't need to purchase some Hamer's Hot Ones or something similar for when it is really cold.

First year with a pellet stove coming up, and I just want to make sure I am prepared. Kind of like the 20 cords of hardwood I have for the woodstove downstairs. Talking boy-scout type prepared.

Thanks all,

Mike

I'd try a few bags of different brands to see how they work for you. First year 2008 I got 3 tons Maine woods and they clogged the stove. Returned them. The ones that I have now all burn real good in the Leyden: Hamers, barefoot, oakanagan, cubex, green supreme. Also have ton GT from lowes and ton fireside ultras based on reviews. Have also burned with success in Leyden Lignetics hardwood green bag (blend not as good), stove chow, NEWP.

Aweful were applying county and Omalley.

Long pond in plainfield has Somersettes which have great reviews. Hope this helps.

I think you'll be fine with the GT's all season. That said, it never hurts to "test drive" 2-3 bags of other brands for comparison.

I think you'll be fine with the GT's all season. That said, it never hurts to "test drive" 2-3 bags of other brands for comparison.
x2

Green teams are a great pellet. The best I have burned so far are green teams and somersets. (I havent tried the high end pellets yet)

I would still be burning them if Lowe's didn't raise the price to $275. Good pellet but a little ashy.

I would still be burning them if Lowe's didn't raise the price to $275. Good pellet but a little ashy.
Same here. I burned almost exclusively GT last year along with a couple bags of various brands. This year like subsailor, I gave up on them due to Lowes price gouging.

Wonder why there is such a disparity in price for GT's among Lowes? I, like several others in the area got them for $188/ton prior to military discount.

Wonder why there is such a disparity in price for GT's among Lowes? I, like several others in the area got them for $188/ton prior to military discount.
Where in New England did you get them?

Lisbon, CT. Several other Lowe's in the area had them for the same price.

I grabbed two skids of green teams today...$219 a ton plus the 10% movers pack discount...$394 for two skids aint too shabby:cool:

It drives me crazy when I see all you CT people posting these prices. I stopped at Lowes this morning, they had a per bag price of $5.20 for Greene Team Platinum. No "Contractor Price" was listed. I'm just hoping that when JT tests the MWP softwoods that he gets better test results than the GT's.

It drives me crazy when I see all you CT people posting these prices. I stopped at Lowes this morning, they had a per bag price of $5.20 for Greene Team Platinum. No "Contractor Price" was listed. I'm just hoping that when JT tests the MWP softwoods that he gets better test results than the GT's.

As I posted in a thread last week, the contractor price is gone for now. You couldn't use the 10% coupons with the contractor price because it was already "discounted" (yeah, right) and the coupons can't be "stacked". For now, the guys in CT are making out with the GTs while the rest of us in Central and Northern New England growl. I've given up waiting for the GT price to change here and have moved on. It's almost Sept 1st. I've got enough for the season but would like to stuff some more in the basement.

I am one of the fortunate ones who got the GT's at the $188 contractor price about 2 weeks ago. The only GT's I saw in Lowes were the standard pellet, but from what I see in your posts it seems like Lowes is stocking a supposedly better quality pellet that has been labeled 'Platinum'. This could very easily be a marketing ploy by adding in this supposedly better quality label. That would suck if the Platinums are the same as what I got (plain white labeled bag). If that is the case then Lowes is basically asking you to pay extra for the word 'Platinum' on the bag. I'm not sure if anyone has done any tests yet on the 'Platinum' version to see if it is better quality than the standard version. It does sound like you guys are voting your dislike of the price hike by not spending your money there... maybe if they think they will get stuck with the inventory they'll lower the prices shortly.

I am one of the fortunate ones who got the GT's at the $188 contractor price about 2 weeks ago. The only GT's I saw in Lowes were the standard pellet, but from what I see in your posts it seems like Lowes is stocking a supposedly better quality pellet that has been labeled 'Platinum'. This could very easily be a marketing ploy by adding in this supposedly better quality label. That would suck if the Platinums are the same as what I got (plain white labeled bag). If that is the case then Lowes is basically asking you to pay extra for the word 'Platinum' on the bag. I'm not sure if anyone has done any tests yet on the 'Platinum' version to see if it is better quality than the standard version. It does sound like you guys are voting your dislike of the price hike by not spending your money there... maybe if they think they will get stuck with the inventory they'll lower the prices shortly.
According to Robbie at GT, there is no difference between the Greene Team, Greene Team Platinum, and Greene Gold besides the bag. I and at least one other person noticed more of a carbon buildup with the platinum bags last year.

According to Robbie at GT, there is no difference between the Greene Team, Greene Team Platinum, and Greene Gold besides the bag. I and at least one other person noticed more of a carbon buildup with the platinum bags last year.

Could just be batch variance. I burned 2 different batches of GT(non platinum) last season. The first was great, The second was noticably worst with carbon build up on my burnpot liner.

The Home Depot in Oxford, MA has Green Supremes for $209.00 as of Thursday. They are hiding them in the back. In front are a couple of skids of Premiums, but go to the back and all the way to the right and you'll see a bunch of pallets with green plastic on them. Those are the Green Supreme. They had between fifteen and twenty tons there and only a couple of tons of Premiums on the ground. They aren't Green Teams, but not far off quality wise, in my opinion.
I burned G.S. all last year and they weren't bad at all, and for 209.00 a ton they will be even better.....until they're gone.....

The Home Depot in Oxford, MA has Green Supremes for $209.00 as of Thursday. They are hiding them in the back. In front are a couple of skids of Premiums, but go to the back and all the way to the right and you'll see a bunch of pallets with green plastic on them. Those are the Green Supreme. They had between fifteen and twenty tons there and only a couple of tons of Premiums on the ground. They aren't Green Teams, but not far off quality wise, in my opinion.
I burned G.S. all last year and they weren't bad at all, and for 209.00 a ton they will be even better.....until they're gone.....
That HD usually has Fireside Ultra which I consider a better pellet than the GS....may e those are the other ones you saw. The HD in Auburn which is not too far had MWP

That HD usually has Fireside Ultra which I consider a better pellet than the GS....may e those are the other ones you saw. The HD in Auburn which is not too far had MWP

Nope. Just two kinds when I was there...G.S. and a few pallets of Premiums. I usually hit both Home Depots when I'm in the area but I didn't get to Auburn this time.
As for quality of pellet, as we all know everyone has their own opinion on pellets....to a point. We all can agree on the bottom feeders of the pellet world I think, but after that, well, that's one reason why we are all here, no? As for me, I got several tons last year of the G.S. for 209/ ton and for the mild winter we had they were fine. Now, ask me if I would like them if I paid 300.00/ ton, and I might have a different answer for you. Then again, I don't think I would like any pellet at 300.00/ton in today's marketplace. Not when perfectly good pellets such as GT, GS and a few others are available at the lower end of the spectrum.

As always, just my opinion....

Status
Not open for further replies.