Greenova Pellet Plant in Berlin NH downsized

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
The local Berlin Daily Sun newspaper (Berlindailysun.com) in Berlin NH reported today that the pellet plant that is being built will be sized for 100,000 tons per years versus the original plan of 200,000 tons per year due to lack of "economically availlable" wood. They do plan to expand to 200,000 in three years. Note this plant was designed to burn low grade cord wood and therefore are competing against pulpmills and firewood operators.

Given thier closeness to Bethel Maine, I wouldnt be surpised if they become a supplier to Les Ottens company

I worked in both the Groveton and Berlin paper mills for an outside contractor.
I hope that this pellet plant will help the economy in that area.
Having the Groveton mill close (Both sides) and the pulp mill in Berlin close dealt
that area an awful blow.

But, also consider that a biomass-energy plant is now under constructed only a few miles away from the pellet mill. That it could be the two will co-exist when after the production/supply lines are established and they wiil utilize the resources the most effective way they are able.

The Berlin biomass-energy project (the “Berlin Project”) will be one of the largest and most environmentally sound biomass-energy facilities in the United States. The Berlin Project is expected to utilize in excess of 700,000 tons of clean whole tree wood chips per year in order to generate approximately 65 megawatts of electricity, thus generating substantial local economic activity for loggers, truckers and other local businesses.

http://www.laidlawenergy.com/berlin-nh-project.html

Firestarter,
You are right about that project.

Glad to see that it is moving forward.
If it does not fly, the paper mill will probably shutdown.

700,000 tons of wood chips/year??
I hope there will be enough left over for pellets!!

Thanks for the update

Status
Not open for further replies.