1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Greenova Pellet Plant in Berlin NH downsized

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by peakbagger, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    The local Berlin Daily Sun newspaper (Berlindailysun.com) in Berlin NH reported today that the pellet plant that is being built will be sized for 100,000 tons per years versus the original plan of 200,000 tons per year due to lack of "economically availlable" wood. They do plan to expand to 200,000 in three years. Note this plant was designed to burn low grade cord wood and therefore are competing against pulpmills and firewood operators.

Given thier closeness to Bethel Maine, I wouldnt be surpised if they become a supplier to Les Ottens company

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. lessoil

lessoil Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rumford, Maine
    I worked in both the Groveton and Berlin paper mills for an outside contractor.
    I hope that this pellet plant will help the economy in that area.
    Having the Groveton mill close (Both sides) and the pulp mill in Berlin close dealt
    that area an awful blow.
  3. ugenetoo

ugenetoo New Member

Loc:
    northern maine
    thats what the rumor mill is grinding out at this time!
  4. Red Sun

Red Sun New Member

Loc:
    Western Maine
    But, also consider that a biomass-energy plant is now under constructed only a few miles away from the pellet mill. That it could be the two will co-exist when after the production/supply lines are established and they wiil utilize the resources the most effective way they are able.

The Berlin biomass-energy project (the “Berlin Project”) will be one of the largest and most environmentally sound biomass-energy facilities in the United States. The Berlin Project is expected to utilize in excess of 700,000 tons of clean whole tree wood chips per year in order to generate approximately 65 megawatts of electricity, thus generating substantial local economic activity for loggers, truckers and other local businesses.

http://www.laidlawenergy.com/berlin-nh-project.html
  5. lessoil

lessoil Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rumford, Maine
    Firestarter,
    You are right about that project.

Glad to see that it is moving forward.
    If it does not fly, the paper mill will probably shutdown.

700,000 tons of wood chips/year??
    I hope there will be enough left over for pellets!!

Thanks for the update
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.