Greenway pellets.....anyone else using um?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2009
midwest
Last year we used Ozark Hardwood brand with pretty decent luck, but this year we got a deal on some from Greenway (4K pounds for 350.00) It already appears we are burning over twice as much as we were with the others. It also is alot more dusty and leaves a gooey residue on the pot.

Have gone through about a half ton of Greenways. I find them to be a very good pellet. Hardly any dust/fines and they burn very well. Have used Ozark in previous years and I find them to be 'OK' - a lot more dust/fines in the Ozark. I would buy Ozark if no other pellet was available. However I consider the Greenways to be a better pellet.

Have been through a little over a ton. I'm not really impressed. Maybe the most dust and fines I have had in any pellet I have purchased. Also I have to clean the stove about twice as much as I have in the past. Seems to really plug up the exhaust. Fairly decent heat but I think it is a pretty dirty pellet. But then again at $189.00/ton I shouldn't be complaining.

We have used about a ton of them so far this season.

We tested Energex American, Hamer's Hot One's, Somersets, Lignetics, and Greenway.

We burned 5 bags of each brand when we did the testing.

My stove produced the most heat when burning the Hamer's & Engerex, about 305 degrees on a med low setting with both of these brands.

The Greenway's produced about 300 degrees on a med low setting with just about the same amount of ash.

The Hamer's & Engerex are selling for $260.oo a ton in my area, and the Greenways are $189.oo a ton.

WIth the little difference in the heat output between the two, I bought the Greenways the last go around.

I figure that every 4th ton of Greenways that I get is free when compared to the price's of the other decent brands in my area.

Always remember whatever burns well in my stove may differ in what burns well in your stove, each install is unique in it's own way and also pellet batches or runs do differ as well.

I tried 3 bags from my local Lowe's. They were a little dusty, but put out great heat. I don't know if they are all the same, but mine were the Super Premium Oak pellets. They had a great oaky smell too.

I think my Enviro Windsor might be a pellet snob, but it seemed to take the Greenways fine.

I'm a newbie to the pellet world. Just bought a Summer's Heat stove (the 25 PDVC) from Lowe's in Llyod, NY and bought a ton of the Greenway. With a brand new stove, running a a medium setting to low at times, I burn about a 40 lb bag every 18 - 20 hours. The ash seems a bit dusty to me but as another poster noted, the smell outdoors is great. The price was $3.74 per bag or $187 a ton and doesn't matter how much or little you buy.

So, my question is, is the burn rate about right?

Never used the greenway pellets but got a deal on the Somerset this year for $167 a ton. I got a total of 8 ton for less then $1400.00 Sweet deal!!!! I got 4 tons for me and 4 ton for my friend. He stoped at my house drop off the Bob cat (Skid steer with forks) we then picked them up with his big truck and big trailer. They are so good this year that I wish I had gotten 8 for myself.

J

I burned 12 bags of greenway and now burning country boy white lightening. The greenway had more fines in the bags and produced more ash but I think both put out the same heat at least as far as I can tell.

The Somersets burn better for me then Greenway but the Greenway burn great compared to OHP.

Just bought 2 tons @ $214 a ton delivered. They are smaller than any pellets I have ever burned. They are slightly larger than corn kernels. Because of this, they burn faster, as more are dropped, and my stove will only let me set the feed rate for the low setting. This also made me open the draft a bit. I have seen very little in the way of fines, and they are less ashy than the Hammers I burned before this. They are OK, and I will consider them again. Now if I could just find Turmans in my area in the same price range I would jump on them.

UPDATE:

They burn in our stove like crap. Having to clean the ash out every other day and the pot everyday. We have already gone through a ton in a month and we only run the stove at night and on weekends. To add to that, check out the quality control pics. This is the 4th bag we have found like this so far. We are gonna trade our last ton for something else.

junkpel1.jpg

junkpel2.jpg

Looks like some brain dead jerk put a fork truck fork through the bag and they got wet.
I'm burning them and very satisfied with ash and heat compared to the totally crappy Carolina Wood Pellets! So satisfied that I just unloaded the first of 3 tons for next year!

We are currently burning through 3 tons of Greenways right now. I notice a little more fines in the Greenways than the Somerset or OHP I have burned this year. They burn good, better than than OHPs or Somersets. Those bags in your picture have definitely gotten wet somewhere. I have not had any bags like that look like that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.