Greenwood 100 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyb

Aug 1, 2008
Looking at purchasing a indoor Greenwood boiler in Fairbanks, Alaska where temperature do reach minus fifty. I have done research and looked at these boilers first hand. I was wondering if anyone has installed one inside a garage (not shed or detached unit). I am concerned with the smoke issues I read on the forum. One of the things mentioned in the owner's manual was to install a draft inducer. Did you find this helpful? Was it worth it or have do you have any other ideas? Also, I have to raise this boiler 18 inches for fire marshal code. Any suggestions on how to hold the weight of this unit? (concrete blocks?) In our house currently we have a wood stove and slab heat. Thought about outside boilers and ran across the Greenwood's. What are people thoughts? I know all products can have their pros and cons, just looking up more information. Thanks.

I have a GW 100. I live in Wasilla. Have used the unit for 2 1/2 years. It is in a garage. I installed an attic fan and duct work above the door, attached a timer and have eliminated the smoke issue. I would think concrete blocks or short poured walls would support just fine.
Steve

Thanks-Quick questions if you don't mind. Did you stay with a six inch flue? or go to 7 or 8? Did you go with a closed or open system? Does the damper and/or stack need to be 18 inches high off the floor. Did you purchase and use a battery backup system? Thanks again.

Hello Johnnyb,

I'm in Whitehorse, Yukon running a GW200 in my attached garage. Smoke can be an issue if you open the door at the wrong time. I have a draft inducer and turn it on prior to opening the the door to the Greenwood. Additionally, I have started to open the garage door as well just in case. Th greenwood heats up the garage for free so I don't mind letting in a little fresh air when loading. Our building code requires the same 18" clearance in a garage install but our inspectors interpret it as 18" to the lowest air opening i.e. the air intake or door. To get the required 18''s, all I had to do was elevate it on some bricks. FYI, I really like my greenwood and think that it is an excellent unit when operated in a climate that allows a 24/7 operation. Make sure that you have it professionally installed and include a return water boiler protection set-up to prevent your heat exchanger tubes from cooling down too much so that you don't have a creosote problem.

johnnyb said:
Thanks-Quick questions if you don't mind. Did you stay with a six inch flue? or go to 7 or 8? Did you go with a closed or open system? Does the damper and/or stack need to be 18 inches high off the floor. Did you purchase and use a battery backup system? Thanks again.

I use a 6" flue, open system with 800 gallons of storage in progress. I made my own battery backup with inverter. Would probablly be money ahead if I would have hired a pro...But I sure have learned alot along the way.

Steve

I have a Model 100 in Fairbanks, AK. I installed the draft fan and it was well worth it. It cuts down on the smoke when loading but the biggest advantage is when you are starting a cold fire. It was a pain to get it started from cold without the draft fan. I got mine delivered for $164 I think. I wired it into the control box in parallel with the dampener motor so that it has power whenever the dampener is open. I turn it off when the fire gets hot. I got an old computer UPS and plugged the circulation pumps into this for power outage protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.