Greenwood 300 vs Seton 180

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaner

Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2007
NW Ohio
Hi everyone this is my first post ever, anywhere so sorry in advance. I had settled on a Seton 180 as I live 16 miles from the factory in New Hampshire Ohio, the unit comes in around $10,000. My thoughts are swayed since finding i can buy a "new" Greenwood 300 from the people liquidating Greenwoods inventory for about $6,000. Is anyone having any luck with their Greenwwod?

Ben...

Search for Seton and Greenwood on this site. There seems to be a few GW owners here, but I don't recall of any Seton owners. Seems to be a few problems popping up with the GW's. I burned with a Seton clone --Adobe, and got "burned" by crappy build materials and absolutely no after sale support. Sounds as if you would be on your own with the GW. It doesn't look like you would be stealing the GW @ 6K. The Seton @ 10K seems like alot of $ when you actually break one down materials wise. Seton seems to have a few improvements on their original design--access panels for cleaning, galvanized side panels, and a stainless steel condensate system. With the factory so close to your home that is a plus for the Seton.

There is plenty to read here on this site and many knowledgeable people who help many others. It's a big investment --I probably have twice the $$ I should have in my system because of my first mistake(buying the Adobe). Good luck-I'm sure others will post here, just keep checking.

GW 300 is a huge stove!!!!! We bought a GW 200 last year and love it so far. This is my first experience with a gasification boiler and so far it is really what i needed. The bad part is my distributor contacted me to let me know that Greenwood did go belly up which voids my warranty:-( Which is one of the main reasons I bought it. They did give me a list of all the suppliers to greenwood and said if i ever need anything to just let them know.

And btw $6g's is a hell of a deal. IMHO

I bought the 300 Greenwood. I'm now in the process of finding economical 1 1/2 pex as my longest run is 260' to my barn which has a 177.000 btu heat load and the run to my house is 130' which has a 110.000 load . The stove came with a Taco #13 pump the owners manual says the stove moves 30gpm. Does anyone have ideas and or suggestions.

Thank you! Ben...

I would make sure you have a mixing valve on the return before entering the boiler.
If you are installing the unit where smoke is a problem i would get a hood for over the door to exhaust excess smoke when filling.

I also would do a search on the site for Greenwood cleaning and you will get a ton of info on how to prepare the stove before installation for ease of cleaning.
And lots of other info with problems people have had over the years. I read for about 2 hours last night.

I am impressed that your dealer at least contacted you to let you know that Greenwood went belly up. I am a happy Greenwood owner / user but I was surprised that my dealer did not contact me direct. I found out through this forum. If you would not mind posting or contacting me direct with the list of suppliers your dealer gave you or even just the name of your dealer? it would be greatly appreciated.

I just purchased a new greenwood aspen 175 for $ 5800.00 ,, excellent deal just have to drive to ohio wharehouse to bring it back .. excellent deal no duty at the border just pst and gst .. these stoves were built in manitoba canada by ( empyre ) and a few in mexico. then shipped to greenwood for the name change .. for more info. Greenwood Recovery phone Bryan , he is the man handling everything for the bank # 206-453-0021 direct line washington time zone.also 206-453-0067 .. if you have any problems let me know..also his fax # 425 454 4701

I will get that list scanned and emailed to me and then i will post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.