GreenWood . . . and the Coldest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

I've had a few questions lately, but I don't do the PM nor the email thing. And I recently had to bury the best non-human companion I've ever known . . . which, among other things, means I shan't be around so much in the future.

Be that as it may, I thought I'd mention a few things.

1)I'm no 'expert' on anything we talk about here. But what little I do know, I'll share.

2)If you can't get your GW to operating temp, I would suggest minimizing the load. Some of the pros or plumber types here can help you do that. If you still can't make operating temp, get some good wood. Still not burning? Make sure air is coming in and getting back out the stack. Measure draft. I never have. I doubt that incorrect draft is going to keep you from temp, especially when the load is minimized.

3)Based only on my experience, the quality of your wood is important. Probably not as important as in the forced downdraft, Euro-styles, but . . . don't burn punky Basswood and think you are going to get heat.

4)Once you get up to operating temp, load just above the bottom of the door and CLOSE THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY. Fussing all the time is counterproductive. Go play with the dog, the new splitter, your wife, something, but leave the GW alone until it burns down to coals.

Sorry I'm not much help. But that's all I know. Spring is coming.

Jimbo

Attachments

• Pic5.jpg
    Pic5.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 534
Sorry to hear about your friend, Jimbo.

Looks like we just lost our cat of 15 years.

I could use some spring cheering up, too.

Regards.

Our boy was less than 4 years. Smaller than the one that walks the streets of OF, but his heart was just as big.

But anyway . . . .

Cheers :-S

Jimbo,
Sorry about your dog, losing a good pet is tough on anyone.
I hear GW has been taken over. The new management should kick you a check for all the help you have been to new users around here.

Jimbo,

Also wanted to say sorry you lost your friend. By the picture, he looked pretty cool.

Regards,
Shannon Robertson

Jimbo, When ever someone needs help with a GW it is often draft related and we fix the problem with a manometer/draft inducer. But - I always send them to this web-site. And I always tell them to look up all your posts. You have helped many Greenwood owners here. Don't under estimate just how many GW owners have saved alot of time/frustration because of your posts. Sorry about your dog, we have one that won't be far behind. We thought it was last weekend. Turned out he had some optical problems (we thought he had a stroke). The whole family took it hard when we thought we were going to have to put him down. Pets really do become part of the family... Anyway don't be to much of a stranger... many GW owners out there need your help : )

Jimbo, we are all family here. I'm sorry about your companion. I was raised in a farm environment and trained never to get to attached to the animals. IMPOSSIBLE for me. I feel your loss.

Kevin

all animals we have make us feel sad when we loose.last week a mink killed all my chickens and a duck. they were part of my family. sorry for your loss.be strong.

Jim- my condolences.

The photo clearly reflects that he was a warm and good natured fellow.

May he rest in peace and may your sorrows gradually heal.

For many of us, our dogs are more trustworthy, more forgiving, and more loving than many people we call our friends. Our dogs live for the moment, that moment is their caretaker-friend, and that moment is always full of life and excitement when dog and friend are together. Losing such an animal is a great loss, while the memories and joys will live and be a treasure forever. Blessings and peace to you as you grieve the loss of your dog.

Two of our dogs lay buried just beyond our kitchen window in their own memorial garden. A third, Jasmin, likely will join them in the near future. Such great joy and pain together -- the stuff which makes a fully lived life. Peace.

Very sorry to hear of you losing your friend. Those of us who have had friends like that know the pain.

Don

Jim - condolences on your loss. Losing a pet/friend is sometimes harder than losing a family member.

Don't be a stranger - we're here for just BSing as well as solving the world's wood heating issues . . .

Truly a tough time for you. Bing lifelong dog owners we have been down that road many more times than I care to think about. Losing a pet at a young age is very difficult. Both our current "best friends" are on borrowed time and we cherish each day that they still enjoy life. The saying goes something like "my dogs are some of the best people I know"...and I am reminded of this each day when I return home from work.

We hope the good memories you have will help to ease the pain over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.