GreenWood ash removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

The 2010-11 season started on Oct 31. Friday, Nov 26 I removed 2 gallons of ash.

My procedure . . .

As the fire cools down, keep raking coals to the back. Take care to not push ash to the back. In the front, keep raking carefully so that the ash glows. Once the water drops to say 140, rake the coals to a back corner. Then pull ash from the opposite back corner, to the front. Then move coals from one side to the other in the back. Pull ash forward from the other back corner.

There should now be a small bed of coals across the back. Load this with 3 small rounds so that you can maintain a fire. Continue to rack the ash in the front until it is minimized.

With the fire cooled, remove ash from the front. I use a handle-less spade. 4 scoops equaled 2 gallons (yup, I measured). I put a piece of SS masonry lath on the bucket. This will catch most metal and unspent fuel. Return the unspent fuel to the combustion chamber.

Now, having said all that, let me be clear.

Removing ash from the GW always leads to a troublesome fire. It seems to take 24-36 hours to right itself. I forgot to mention, only remove ash from the GW when you have a warming trend coming. My observation has been that, after removing ash, the fuel tends to burn up which means away from the coals. This doesn't produce heat nor new coals very well.

Some things I do to try to minimize the need for ash removal:

1) Avoid visibly wet wood. Even 24 hours spent inside next to the unit will help.
2)Avoid putting fuel into the unit that has ice on it. I know . . .DUH!, right?!?
3)Avoid over-filling. (Much easier said than done)
4)Do not put fresh fuel on top of partially burned fuel. If you do not open the load door until the water °F drops below your low set point (170 typically) this will eliminate premature loading.

Generally I would mention that you have to resist the urge to reach in a take out 'ash' on a regular basis. Especially now with it not spending much time below 30, keep the fuel to the back half of the CC. Use the front half of the CC for ashes. Stir them every time you load. This stirring will keep the ash from accumulating.

Horror story for ya. Probably one that every other GW operator can echo. First season. "why won't the %^@(& fire keep my water at 180?" In my case it was crappy wood and other operator errors. At least once a week I see the ash/coals up to and sometimes above the air inlets. Reach in, scoop stuff out, rekindle etc, with the typical 24-36 hour down time. go 5 days, repeat.

Just my observations

Jimbo

Hate to rub it in but ash removal is a non issue with the Greenfire. Pull out ashpan once a week and vacuum with ash vac. The greenfire also has combustion air that comes through the ashpan under the grate. This is a small but huge design difference as combustion air feeds the fire under not just the sides. I don't know if it is better or not but certainly a big design difference...

Not sure about the Adobe, but I was thinking that Seton and Greefire both have ashpans.

And yeah, it would be great to be able to easily remove ash without 24-36 hours of low heat. But . . .

Is there any chance that is why we (GW users) have less trouble with 'run-away' and are able to shut down our fire more effectivly than the others? What I mean is, if you are getting air leaks into the primary CC, could that be causing the over temping?

Jimbo

That makes sense but it seems the majority of people having problems with over heat are Seton owners? I believe Greenfire/Greenhorizon (same boiler) is the only one that has combustion air coming through ash pan under the fire.

Not one over heat yet this year.Cleaned ashes about 3 times since Oct 16 when I fired it up. No where near the problems that I had last year(first year heating w GW)Seemed like once a week I was cleaning alot of coals that wouldnt burn down. Possibly over loading.I have no problems when I am in control of the wood load. During the day my 2 sons keep an eye on it in between college classes,thats when they throw wood in wether it needs it or not. GRRRR I tell em if the temp is fine and there is wood in there let it be. In one ear and out the other.Then I get to straighten it out when I get home from work at 8pm. But I am dealing w this. I kinda push a pile of coals up in the middle of chamber n let them burn down. This year all the "fuel" is being burned up and leaving behind a nice fine ash. All done loading shed for this year. I do have a little stash out behind the shed covered n protected from weather just in case. Last winter was no fun gettin it 80 or so ft from the shed w 3 plus ft of sno. Not doin that again just slide door open and clean pile off and throw it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.