Greenwood Heat Retention sensor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djblech

Feeling the Heat
Jul 7, 2008
Bruno MN
The heat retention unit sensor quit working. ( The reason it quit is a long story for another time.) When I asked Greenwood they said" It's a normal 10k sensor that most controls use" and I should be able to get it locally. I'm not sure what a normal 10k sensor is, or what to order.

djblech
Greenwood 100

Sounds like a temperature sensor.

I've been thinking I should get a heat retention kit for my Greenwood. Would you recommend it from your experience? I don't really need it right now as it seems most useful during warm weather operation. Won't happen here for about 8-10 weeks.

The heat retention unit has a couple of good points. 1. If your water temp falls below 140 it shuts the damper to retain heat. This actually does hold heat longer. It also shuts the damper if temp goes over 200. It has a switch that allows you to turn off the unit this also shuts the damper. It has a digital readout that tells the outside of pipe temp. (sensor taped to pipe.) This is kind of nice, it is about 10 * lower than actual water temp but you get used to that.

djblech

Greenwood 100
Vermont Castings Dutchwest

Have Dave Barber stick his hand on the pipe and when it cools down he can shut the damper.

Nawww, he'd prolly screw that up too!

Status
Not open for further replies.